Senior Counsel - Real Estate Transactions
Legal – Legal /
What we do and why we do it
As the leading marketplace for single-family rental homes, our mission is to make real estate investing radically accessible, cost effective, and simple. We successfully merge our passion for helping investors build wealth through real estate with cutting edge technology that transforms the way they do it.
How it’s going (and growing)
With a talented team of 500+ Roofsters, our collaborative and can-do culture is what fuels our growth. We recently closed on our series E, raising nearly $400 million, and have offices in California, Texas, and New York as well as many remote opportunities. Our growth includes recent acquisitions of Great Jones (full-service property management) and Stessa (financial management software) to empower customers with a seamless way to acquire, manage, and track their investment properties on one platform.
Under our roof
We get a lot of attention for our innovation—like being on the Forbes Fintech 50 and Red Herring 100—but we’re most proud of being recognized as a Great Place to Work® (Check out our reviews!). We’re nice, get things done, and have fun. We champion professional growth and work-life balance. In fact, our values are B.A.D.A.S.S.
Be customer obsessed.
Act like an owner, because you are one.
Don’t be afraid to break things in the pursuit of better.
All of us are empowered to do the right thing.
Stay curious and create what’s next. Fast.
Seriously. No jerks.
We are looking for an experienced real estate transactions attorney with an interest in the exciting proptech space to join our legal team of subject matter specialists and tech attorneys. In this role, you will partner closely with our investment services team, our portfolio transactions team, and our i-buyer team to understand their business objectives, meet their legal needs, and negotiate and paper their portfolio transactions. In addition, as their dedicated attorney, you’ll issue-spot other legal concerns ancillary to the bread-and-butter transactional issues and collaborate with the legal team to find solutions. You’ll be a member of a high-functioning, collaborative, low-ego, fun legal team that is working hand-in-hand to propel the business at a hyper-growth real estate tech company. As part of the Roofstock Legal Team, you will have a seat at the table and make a real impact on the company. If helping to shape the company interests you and you love real estate transactions, then this role is for you!
What You Will Do:
- Provide strategic counsel, lead negotiations, and draft documents ranging from portfolio acquisition and dispositions, related real estate finance, and leveraged transactions on both the buy and sell side of single family residential (SFR) real estate
- Represent clients in the acquisition or sale / disposition of large portfolios of residential real estate
- Negotiate with funds, private equity groups, REITs owning properties nationwide
- Advise clients in all aspects of real estate secured financing and support with securitizations
- General real estate transaction drafting
- Work closely in a collaborative, low ego environment with our highly experienced team of attorneys, representing clients within our business and transacting alongside and across the table from a diverse group of stakeholders, including local and national operators and investors, private equity groups, funds, REITs, and developers, as well as banks and other lenders
- This position will provide an excellent opportunity for responsibility, learning and career growth
- The position is remote with periodic travel to meet teammates in person in order to strategize, build rapport, and enjoy each other’s company
What You Bring with You:
- J.D.; admitted to a state bar in good standing
- At least 6 years of experience (ideally more) representing clients in real estate transactions (including acquisitions, development, leasing, and/or finance) at a law firm with a reputable real estate practice.
- Additional experience in-house is a plus
- Experience working on portfolio transactions and funding in the single family residential (“SFR”) asset class is a plus.
- Familiarity with REITs
- Business-minded and capable of balancing legal and compliance with business objectives
- Strong business judgment and decision-making abilities
- Friendly, team player attitude
For our regular full-time roles we offer a great benefits package!
Medical, Vision and Dental for you (95%) and your dependents (65%)
Flexible time off and sick days
Supplemental bonus to support "work from home" office needs
Equity incentives to give you a stake in the Company’s future
We are an upbeat and collaborative work culture
Virtual company-sponsored outings
Roofstock is an equal opportunity employer. In keeping with the values of Roofstock, we make all employment decisions including hiring, evaluation, termination, promotional and training opportunities, without regard to race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, physical handicap, mental disability, medical condition, disability, gender or identity or expression, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, marital status, height and/or weight.