Facilities Maintenance Technician
Long Branch, NJ /
Variable Part Time
When childhood friends Holly and Shawn stepped away from their corporate careers and started Rook Coffee in 2010, they wanted to make people feel special. Since the beginning, in a 300-square-foot shack, Rook has focused on offering specialty coffees that inspire genuine, human connections.
Rook Coffee is currently seeking a proactive, highly motivated, and hard-working individual to join the operations team who will help keep the stores and the corporate headquarters (including Rook’s production facility) operating in an efficient, productive, and safe manner!
This is an hourly, non-exempt, part-time position with the potential to fluctuate, at times, to full-time in response to seasonal and/or project demands. This position reports to the Operations Manager.
- Responsible for general and preventative maintenance duties at all Rook locations, including (i) monitoring, maintaining, cleaning, repairing, and replacing store and roastery machinery and equipment and (ii) dismantling, installing, and replacing air filters and water filters, cleaning keg lines and ice machines, cleaning and calibrating grinders, cleaning condensation coils, dismantling and cleaning cold brew tap heads, periodic cleaning of grease traps and drains, and vehicle maintenance
- Handle on-site repairs, including plumbing, keg and nitrogen issues, small grinder repairs, carpentry, light HVAC, and sheetrock/spackling/painting
- Responsible for store upkeep and custodial and cleaning duties at stores, roastery, and brewery
- Assist with larger store projects, such as woodworking, renovations, and moving equipment
- Maintain open and ongoing communication on projects with management and store leaders
Experience and Requirements:
- Experience in facilities maintenance, construction work, or otherwise relevant to the role, for a minimum of one year, with proven and consistent results
- The ability to work independently and proactively
- Great stamina and coordination. The role involves standing, walking, reaching, bending, squatting, kneeling, climbing, quick turning, heavy lifting, ladder usage, all aspects of cleaning, enduring heated, wet, and/ or cold conditions, major hand and arm usage, and use of heavy machinery and power tools
- General mechanical knowledge for building systems, including HVAC, plumbing and/or electrical (desired, not required)
- Familiarity with coffee equipment, such as hot water towers, grinders, ventilation fans, refrigerators, etc. is helpful
- Carpentry experience and/or skill set (desired, not required)
- Positive mental attitude and outlook on life
- A valid driver’s license and reliable transportation
- Maintain regular and consistent attendance and punctuality
- Available to work flexible hours that may include early mornings, evenings, weekends, nights and/or holidays, as job demands. One weekend day of work is required weekly and two weekend days are preferable
- Two professional references
A few of the perks and benefits we offer:
- Participation in 401k plan for eligible employees
- Health, dental, and vision coverage for eligible employees
- Paid time off
- Free coffee during working hours and discounts on coffee, food items, and merchandise
Rook Coffee Roasters provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Rook Coffee Roasters complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Rook Coffee Roasters expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Rook Coffee Roasters’ employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.