Senior Applied Scientist, Natural Language Processing and Machine Learning
R&D – Development
ROSS Intelligence’s mission is to democratize the law. We are developing technology powered by artificial intelligence that can read, understand and answer legal questions — enabling lawyers to enhance and scale their services to more people faster and at a lower cost.
To date, ROSS has been featured in (among other places) the New York Times, the Wall Street Journal, Wired, The Economist, The Financial Times, Techcrunch, The New Scientist, The Globe and Mail, and The Atlantic. In 2017, Forbes named our founders as three of their 30 Under 30. We have also been recognized by Bloomberg for pioneering AI in the legal industry and by CBInsights as one of the top 100 AI companies in the world.
What you will do:
- Your priorities: 1) lead 2) mentor 3) design and 4) code
- Work on a diverse array of applied natural language processing problems including question-answering, summarization, discourse segmentation, text classification, entity-resolution and topic analysis
- Conduct scientific literature reviews and collaborate with fellow engineers/scientists and legal subject matter experts to generate viable solutions to challenging problems
- Design, implement and run experiments to validate the viability of proposed solutions
- Lead technical design sessions and conduct design and code reviews
- Tie break decisions on what approaches the Applied NLP team researches and commercializes
- Create and maintain an applied research and engineering roadmap for our Applied NLP team
- Maintain and improve an efficient and impactful applied research process
- Mentor junior and intermediate applied natural language processing researchers
- Masters or doctoral degree in natural language processing, machine learning or information retrieval; or equivalent experience
- Significant experience developing natural language processing algorithms and models (especially for question-answering, summarization, and search)
- Significant experience applying machine learning techniques to natural language processing problems (especially recurrent neural networks and transformers)
- An aptitude and curiosity to quickly immerse yourself in a new domain such as the law
- Experience with cloud computing technologies for machine learning and natural language processing like Amazon Web Services and Google Cloud
- Expert skills in Python and Java
- Experience building, deploying and explaining ML-driven NLP systems at scale in production
Life at ROSS
We are a fast-growing company with offices in Toronto and San Francisco, with over $14 Million in funding to date. We are backed by Y-Combinator, Comcast Ventures, iNovia Capital, Real Ventures, and others.
We care about growing strong, capable teams of creative, collaborative people. Your peers in the R&D team have a track record of delivering impactful products that customers love.
Take a peek at the great people you will be working with. Colt, Jake, Manasa, Jimoh, Maya, Elias are passionate professionals that have huge appetites to level up their crafts and make lasting impacts on the legal industry
As an employee at ROSS Intelligence, you get to do impactful work and solve problems for an old industry ripe for innovation. You’ll work alongside full-time developers, be autonomous, receive mentorship support, take on new challenges, and be collaborative. You will be among people who believe that the best way to learn is through practical experience, hard work, and passion.
What we offer:
Mentorship and career development
ROSS is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, citizenship, place of origin, disability, family status, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, or receipt of public assistance.It is important to our company that all its members find our workplace to be welcoming and supportive. Accommodations are available for candidates with disabilities taking part in any aspect of the selection process.