Technical Program Manager - Data Platform
Who we are:
Rover.com connects pet parents with the world’s largest network of pet sitters and dog walkers. On Rover, pet parents can easily discover, book, and manage personalized care for their dogs including pet sitting, dog walking, and doggy day care. Founded in 2011 on the belief that everyone should have the opportunity to experience the unconditional love of a dog, Rover improves and simplifies life for pet parents and the dogs they love.
Our global headquarters are in Seattle, Washington in the United States, working closely with our teams in Spokane, Berlin, London, and Barcelona. We have a track record of being recognized as a great place to work, having been named among Seattle's 'Best Places to Work' in Seattle Business Magazine and the Puget Sound Business Journal for three years running. We're an agile, fast-growing company, and our leadership comes from some of the world's most respected tech companies. Our pioneering approach to people and pups alike landed us on the list of GeekWire’s Next Tech Titan in 2019 and the World's Most Innovative Companies in 2018 by Fast Company. Needless to say (but we're going to say it anyway)—we love dogs, and we wouldn't dream of going to work without them by our sides.
What We Do:
The Data Platform team leverages Redshift, RDS, Docker, Python, Kafka, EMR and other technologies to ensure application databases are healthy and the data available to our business is fresh and correct with an eye towards enabling data self-service across the entire organization. We manage the performance and stability of our production databases for the web application, reporting and machine learning needs of our data scientists, business analysts, and a cross-section of operations teams who want to better manage their operations with effective business insights. We believe in creating the tooling to provide data in a self service manner to our users across the org to achieve their reporting, analytics, machine learning, and service needs.
Who we're looking for:
We're looking for an experienced Technical Program Manager to execute the initiatives to scale the data infrastructure platform at Rover. The ideal candidate is detail-oriented, has excellent communication skills, loves to work on cutting edge technology and has a propensity for problem solving.
You'll primarily be responsible for helping us define what providing data at Rover as a service should look like. You will help define what processes and best practices will be most effective for the team for requirements gathering, project scoping, managing to milestones through completion of initiatives. You will meet with stakeholders to understand the needs of the business and partner with the Data Platform team to craft the best solutions that leverage our existing architecture or define the roadmap to define the feature requirements for scaling it into the future. Ideally, you'll have experience with managing projects dealing with data at scale in a fast paced, agile, and technically exceptional team.
- Articulate the requirements, goals and milestones of the Data Platform team initiatives.
- Collaborate with engineering, product management, data science and other cross-functional teams to deliver a robust data platform integrating batch and streaming ETL pipelines, a data lake, and data warehouse solution to enable analysts to fully support business initiatives with clear insights.
- Develop overall strategy and roadmap for execution of our vision by working closely with engineering, data science, analytical and product counterparts.
- Communicate effectively across functions and to the broader org as well as leadership on the vision and program status.
- Work proactively to identify and mitigate challenges as well as troubleshoot bottlenecks.
- Drive efficient process within the engineering team to deliver sprint goals consistently.
- Help the team define and keep the team updated on key performance indicators (SLAs) for the platforms. Effectively coordinate communication in case of any issues.
- Proactively escalates resource, process or policy constraints to keep launch on track.
- Operate autonomously.
- Build strong partnerships with key cross-functional teams across the company.
- Track and monitor project progress in a collaborative and transparent way.
- Architect solutions for appropriate processes and drive innovation across the team.
- Proactively seek out problems and design solutions for those issues.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Data Science, Program Management or a related field (or equivalent experience)
- 3+ years facilitating execution on business impacting projects or programs with technical complexity
- Experience with Cloud based environments
- Strong organizational skills
- Superior communication, influencing and interpersonal skills
- Ability to match the correct communication style to every given situation
Your Bonus Skills:
- Masters Degree
- Thorough understanding of a large array of ETL batch and streaming processes and best practices in data warehousing and data lake solutions
- Deep experience running projects across multiple large initiatives simultaneously
- Skill with multiple project management methodologies including Agile
Why We'll Hire You
- You employ a variety of flexible frameworks to manage the deluge of inputs into the organization
- You can communicate easily with technical and the non-technical people
- You see how the problems of today are helping to drive the solutions of tomorrow
- Given a problem, you look for multiple solutions and know the pros and cons to each
- You are self-started and self-directed
- You have a passion to help architect a leading-edge automated data platform
- You believe in our mission as a company
- You know when to call it 'good enough' and deliver, and when to put in the extra time to improve the end product
- You like to work hard, but have fun while you're doing it!
Benefits of Working at Rover.com:
- Competitive compensation 401k
- Stock options
- 4 weeks paid time off
- Competitive benefits package, including medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Commuter benefits
- Bring your dog to work (and unlimited puppy time)
- Doggy benefits, including $1000 toward adopting your first dog
- Stocked fridges, coffee, soda, and lots of treats (for humans and dogs)
- Free catered lunches semi-monthly
- Regular team activities, including happy hours, snow tubing, game nights, and more
- 50 free dog walks a year (Seattle only - for now!)
Rover is an equal opportunity employer committed to promoting a diverse, inclusive and inventive environment with the best employees. We’re driven by seeing our people succeed and grow, and we work to ensure everyone contributes to their fullest potential. We consider all qualified applicants without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, protected veteran status, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. If there are preparations we can make to help ensure you have a comfortable and positive interview experience, please let us know.