Senior Security Engineer
Who we are:
Rover.com connects pet parents with the world’s largest network of pet sitters and dog walkers. On Rover, pet parents can easily discover, book, and manage personalized care for their dogs including pet sitting, dog walking, and doggy day care. Founded in 2011 on the belief that everyone should have the opportunity to experience the unconditional love of a dog, Rover improves and simplifies life for pet parents and the dogs they love.
Our global headquarters are in Seattle, Washington in the United States, working closely with our teams in Spokane, Berlin, London, and Barcelona. We have a track record of being recognized as a great place to work, having been named among Seattle's 'Best Places to Work' in Seattle Business Magazine and the Puget Sound Business Journal for three years running. We're an agile, fast-growing company, and our leadership comes from some of the world's most respected tech companies. Our pioneering approach to people and pups alike landed us on the list of GeekWire’s Next Tech Titan in 2019 and the World's Most Innovative Companies in 2018 by Fast Company. Needless to say (but we're going to say it anyway)—we love dogs, and we wouldn't dream of going to work without them by our sides.
Who we're looking for:
Rover is seeking a Security Engineer to work on Application Security and Detection and Response projects, as part of the Information Security Program. This individual will oversee and deliver on projects and tasks focused on the application security of Rover.com, user facing product security features, as well as the detection, response, and mitigation of security incidents across the corporate network, Rover.com application, and AWS infrastructure.
The ideal candidate will be able to take on projects with broad scope and take them from design to implementation - delivering a greater framework of application security, detection, and response across the organization. This position will require knowledge of Python application development, security controls and detection techniques employed in corporate networks, AWS infrastructure, and complex applications. Rover has and continues to work towards building a cutting edge business, with no on premises servers, continuous integration and delivery, and an ephemeral production environment. This presents unique challenges and opportunities to innovate in the security space.
This is a new team working in a new space with a lot of autonomy, so the ideal candidate will be comfortable with complex work, ambiguity, switching between the big picture and detailed tasks, is willing to adapt to a changing landscape, and most of all is someone who enjoys a challenge!
- Detect, investigate, and mitigate emergent security incidents
- Identify and patch application security vulnerabilities
- Design and implement user facing product security features
- Conduct ad-hoc data analysis for investigation and quantification of security posture and detection and response capabilities
- Partner with leadership to develop the long-term vision for Rover's application security, detection and response capabilities, cloud security controls, and corporate network security capabilities
- 3+ years working in an engineering/software development capacity
- 4+ years in the security industry or working on security related projects
- Business acumen including excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to comprehend Rover's business needs and information security goals
- Experience with large scale cloud-based application deployments
- The ideal candidate has experience with AWS, Python, and Linux shell
Nice to have:
- Vulnerability assessment or penetration testing experience
- Blue teaming or SecOps (SOC) experience
- Experience working at a high growth pre-IPO startup
- Familiarity with Terraform, Cloudformation, or other Infrastructure as Code tools
Benefits of working for Rover:
- Competitive compensation
- Stock options
- Flexible PTO
- Competitive benefits package, including medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Commuter benefits
- Bring your dog to work (and unlimited puppy time)
- Doggy benefits, including $1000 toward adopting your first dog
- Stocked fridges, coffee, soda, and lots of treats (for humans and dogs) and free catered lunches semi-monthly (currently on hold due to Covid19)
- Regular team activities, including happy hours, snow tubing, game nights, and more (currently being performed virtually due to Covid19)
Rover is an equal opportunity employer committed to promoting a diverse, inclusive and inventive environment with the best employees. We’re driven by seeing our people succeed and grow, and we work to ensure everyone contributes to their fullest potential. We consider all qualified applicants without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, protected veteran status, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. If there are preparations we can make to help ensure you have a comfortable and positive interview experience, please let us know.