Data Engineer - Data Platform
Who we are:
Rover.com connects pet parents with the world’s largest network of pet sitters and dog walkers. On Rover, pet parents can easily discover, book, and manage personalized care for their dogs including pet sitting, dog walking, and doggy day care. Founded in 2011 on the belief that everyone should have the opportunity to experience the unconditional love of a dog, Rover improves and simplifies life for pet parents and the dogs they love.
Our global headquarters are in Seattle, Washington in the United States, working closely with our teams in Spokane, London, and Barcelona. We have a track record of being recognized as a great place to work, having been named among Seattle's 'Best Places to Work' in Seattle Business Magazine and the Puget Sound Business Journal for three years running. We're an agile, fast-growing company, and our leadership comes from some of the world's most respected tech companies. Our pioneering approach to people and pups alike landed us on the list of GeekWire’s Next Tech Titan in 2019 and the World's Most Innovative Companies in 2018 by Fast Company. Needless to say (but we're going to say it anyway)—we love dogs, and we wouldn't dream of going to work without them by our sides.
Data Engineering at Rover:
Data powers everything at Rover. We are a small team that works closely with all parts of the organization to ensure that our application databases are healthy, the data available to the business is fresh and accurate, and our reporting and machine learning pipelines meet the needs of our Analysts and Data Scientists. We love fine-tuning our databases, breathe observability, and enjoy building self-serve tools that reduce time to insights for our users.
Some of our recent projects have included building a service to ingest data from third-party services in real-time, fixing bottlenecks in our pipelines caused by aggregation of large datasets, and upgrading our databases to increase the security and performance of our systems.
- Designing, developing, testing, and automating high-performance batch and stream data processing systems.
- Monitoring, maintaining and improving Rover's data pipelines and its associated infrastructure.
- Supporting our partner teams by solving complex problems in development and production in a timely manner.
- Building self-serve tools that make it easy to get key business insights.
- At least 3 years of relevant industry experience.
- Strong Python skills in both data and software engineering contexts.
- Experience designing and deploying systems with effective monitoring and logging practices.
- Solid understanding of relational databases and schema design.
- Passionate about automated testing and delivering good quality code.
- Plus: Experience working with AWS, Docker, Luigi, Jupyter, Kafka, Kubernetes, Redshift, RDS, Terraform.
Benefits of working for Rover:
- Competitive compensation
- Stock options
- Flexible PTO
- Competitive benefits package, including medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Commuter benefits
- Bring your dog to work (and unlimited puppy time)
- Doggy benefits, including $1000 toward adopting your first dog
- Stocked fridges, coffee, soda, and lots of treats (for humans and dogs) and free catered lunches semi-monthly (currently on hold due to Covid19)
- Regular team activities, including happy hours, snow tubing, game nights, and more (currently being performed virtually due to Covid19)
- Due to COVID-19, Rover Employees are not required to be in office until July 2021 at the earliest. All new hires will be expected to work from Seattle/ Spokane/ Barcelona once Rover Employees return to office.
Rover is an equal opportunity employer committed to promoting a diverse, inclusive and inventive environment with the best employees. We’re driven by seeing our people succeed and grow, and we work to ensure everyone contributes to their fullest potential. We consider all qualified applicants without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, protected veteran status, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable laws, regulations and ordinances.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.