Senior Software Engineer
Engineering – Engineering /
Who we are:
Want to make an impact? Join our pack and come work (and play!) with us.
We believe everyone deserves the unconditional love of a pet—and at Rover, our mission is to make it easier to experience that love. Founded in 2011, the Rover app and website connect dog and cat parents with loving pet sitters and dog walkers in neighborhoods across the US, Canada, and Europe. We empower our community of trusted pet sitters and dog walkers to run their own pet care businesses on Rover with the tools and security of a global company to back them.
Headquartered in Seattle, Washington, we work closely with our teams in Barcelona, San Antonio, Spokane, and remote locations. We’ve got a reputation for being a great place to work, having been named among the 100 Best Companies to Work For in Seattle Business Magazine and Washington’s Best Workplaces in the Puget Sound Business Journal. We're an agile, fast-growing company, and our leadership comes from some of the world's most respected tech companies.
At Rover, our furry coworkers are just as important as our human ones—and we wouldn’t have it any other way. Along with making the joys of pet parenthood more accessible, we’re committed to fostering a diverse, inclusive, and welcoming community of pet people—and that starts with our employees.
We're looking for someone who:
- Has a true passion for Rover’s mission and values - and is highly motivated by the responsibility to foster a safe environment for our community.
- Has empathy for users and enjoys building customer-facing products that improve people's and pets' lives!
- Brings their own unique background to the team, adding fresh ideas and perspectives.
- Is able to take loose requirements, collaborate with others to determine what needs to be done, and drive a project forward.
- Is eager to improve their craft as a software engineer and is excited to learn new technologies.
- Is equally eager to share their knowledge and help foster a culture of learning.
- Has great mentorship skills.
- 5+ years of experience as a professional software developer
- Long-term experience with frontend development.
- Strong and proven knowledge of ReactJs or React Native
- Experience with Python or another backend language.
- Solid knowledge and understanding of relational databases and schema design
- Passionate about automated testing, code quality, and general software engineering best practices.
Your Bonus Skills:
- Professional experience with Django and other Python-based frameworks
- Knowledge/Interest in React Native
- Familiar with continuous integration/deployment tools.
- You are a great team player.
- You are meticulous about design and user experience because you want to deliver the best service to your customers.
- You are used to working with different agile methodologies (Scrum/Kanban/XP).
- You love new challenges and are eager to solve new problems by applying analytical thinking.
- Good level of written and spoken English (our engineering team is in Barcelona, but we work in English).
- You love pets! 🙂
- We are proud to be professional software developers building high-quality, scalable, and supportable solutions.
- We are curious and passionate about learning, providing the right environment and resources for professional growth.
- We are committed to building, fostering, and maintaining a culture of inclusivity and diversity, both on our teams and in our products.
- We embrace progressive engineering practices, including a continuous deployment pipeline, automated testing, and deployment.
- We are serious about the quality of our production operation, and have thorough system, application, and user interaction monitoring and anomaly detection.
- We are passionate about data-driven decision-making.
- Our teams are integrated, with developers, product managers, designers, and data scientists working side-by-side.
- And, dogs in the office. Bring yours, too!
Benefits of Working at Rover:
- Competitive compensation
- Permanent contract
- Pension Plan
- Meal tickets through Cobee
- Generous PTO Allowance
- Private health insurance
- Discounted Gym Membership
- Bring your dog to work (and unlimited puppy time)
- Monetary help for adopting a dog plus yearly credit to use on our platform
- Flexible work hours, sometimes you’ll need to be in at certain times, but on the whole, we’re pretty flexible when it comes to managing workload and time
- Grab snacks, fresh fruit, in our kitchen to keep yourself going
- Regular team activities, including happy hours, game nights, and more
- This position is located at our Barcelona office.
- Applicants must currently have the right to live and work in Spain....We can help with relocation assistance, though!
Rover is an equal-opportunity employer committed to promoting a diverse, inclusive, and inventive environment with the best employees. We’re driven by seeing our people succeed and grow, and we work to ensure everyone contributes to their fullest potential. We consider all qualified applicants without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, protected veteran status, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable laws, regulations, and ordinances.