Senior Data Engineer
Who we are:
Rover.com connects pet parents with the world’s largest network of pet sitters and dog walkers. On Rover, pet parents can easily discover, book, and manage personalized care for their dogs including pet sitting, dog walking, and doggy day care. Founded in 2011 on the belief that everyone should have the opportunity to experience the unconditional love of a dog, Rover improves and simplifies life for pet parents and the dogs they love.
Our global headquarters are in Seattle, Washington in the United States, working closely with our teams in Spokane, Berlin, London, and Barcelona. We have a track record of being recognized as a great place to work, having been named among Seattle's 'Best Places to Work' in Seattle Business Magazine and the Puget Sound Business Journal for three years running. We're an agile, fast-growing company, and our leadership comes from some of the world's most respected tech companies. Our pioneering approach to people and pups alike landed us on the list of GeekWire’s Next Tech Titan in 2019 and the World's Most Innovative Companies in 2018 by Fast Company. Needless to say (but we're going to say it anyway)—we love dogs, and we wouldn't dream of going to work without them by our sides.
What we do:
The Data Infrastructure team leverages Redshift, RDS, Docker, Python, Kafka, and other technologies to ensure application databases are healthy and the data available to our business is fresh and correct with an eye towards enabling data self-service across the entire organization. We manage the performance and stability of our production databases for the web application, reporting needs of our data scientists, business analysts, and a cross-section of operations teams who want to better manage their operations with effective business insights.
What does Infrastructure at Rover look like?
The infrastructure that powers Rover’s consumer facing web app runs in AWS. It is fully automated (IAC and CI/CD) with Kubernetes as its strategic platform. We release to production over thirty times per day. Rover’s data infrastructure that supports this consists of MySQL and Postgres RDS instances, data streaming and batch jobs using a combination of Luigi jobs, Alooma’s ETL pipelines, and Amazon’s MSK to move data to suit the needs of the business. We use AWS Redshift as our data-warehouse and together with an S3 based data lake we support various traditional and machine learning based applications.
- Design and develop software, tooling, and infrastructure to satisfy our organization's growing data needs.
- Lead the troubleshooting of complex problems in development and production environments, ensuring timely resolution of issues.
- Design, develop, implement, and operate Rover's data and reporting systems.
- Monitor, maintain, and improve the data pipeline and its associated infrastructure.
- Collaborate on the architecture and design of the overall data infrastructure system.
- Help define the future of Data at Rover as it dives into streaming datasets and near real time business insights.
- Work with stakeholders across the organization to build out the data infrastructure strategy and how best to support and predict the needs of the business as it scales.
- 8+ years experience working with production data systems (MySQL and Postgres)
- 3+ years experience in Software Engineering
- Strong Python skills in both data and engineering contexts
- Experience with Rover’s data technology stack or similar cloud infrastructure: Amazon Web Services, Redshift, RDS, Kafka, Terraform, Docker, Python, Jupyter Notebooks, Luigi’s open source orchestration package for data pipelines, and others.
- Experience managing application and system performance and resolution of complex, production software issues.
- Experience executing and interpreting results from database performance benchmarks.
- Your values align with Rover's Core Values.
- Experience maintaining data integrity, availability, and auditability at scale in an AWS based infrastructure environment.
- Strong SQL coding and tuning experience.
- Experience in an internal customer support role providing the business solutions for their data needs to grow and scale the company.
- Dogs in the office. Bring yours, too!
- Lightweight, Agile processes constantly improved with retrospectives.
- Fully automated testing and deployment system. Just merge your branch and it ships.
- Integrated teams with developers and designers work side-by-side.
- Data-driven decision making with A/B testing.
- Contributions back into the open source community.
- We are friendly, supportive and respectful, and we pay attention to the impact and quality of our work.
- Work/Life balance
Benefits of Working at Rover.com:
- Competitive compensation
- Stock options
- Flexible paid time off
- Competitive benefits package, including medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Commuter benefits
- Bring your dog to work (and unlimited puppy time)
- Doggy benefits, including $1000 toward adopting your first dog
- Stocked fridges, coffee, soda, and lots of treats (for humans and dogs)
- Free catered lunches semi-monthly
- Regular team activities, including happy hours, snow tubing, game nights, and more
Candidates must be eligible to work in the US.
Rover is an equal opportunity employer committed to promoting a diverse, inclusive and inventive environment with the best employees. We’re driven by seeing our people succeed and grow, and we work to ensure everyone contributes to their fullest potential. We consider all qualified applicants without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, protected veteran status, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. If there are preparations we can make to help ensure you have a comfortable and positive interview experience, please let us know.