Engineering Manager - Barcelona
Who we are:
We founded Rover.com in 2011 with the belief that everyone should have the opportunity to experience the unconditional love of a dog. On Rover, pet parents can easily discover, book, and manage personalized care for their dogs (and now cats!). Needless to say (but we’re going to say it anyway) — we love animals!
We’re the European hub of a VC-backed Tech startup headquartered in Seattle. You will join an amazing and ambitious global team of almost 500 people. In Europe, we’re an international team of 80 people and 17 nationalities located in 3 fun cities (Barcelona, London and Berlin).
After our recent integration with our European counterpart, DogBuddy, we are now on the path to build the world’s largest network of pet sitters and dog walkers. We're an agile, fast-growing startup, and our leadership comes from some of the world's most respected tech companies.
Who we're looking for:
As our business is growing globally, we’re looking to expand our engineering team in Barcelona. You will be instrumental in building up and managing this new team, in line with Rover’s Core Values, working on the core service line and international product development in native mobile apps and web. You will be working with product managers to build out and execute your team’s strategic vision and roadmap to drive business impact. You will also demonstrate hands-on leadership with your team to meet your objectives while growing the team’s skills and capabilities and keeping the talent bar high. An effective manager in this space will be organized and skilled at working and communicating with teams in Seattle and other geographically dispersed offices.
We're a fast-paced company constantly adapting to change, always making sure we're focusing on the most impactful areas. Our team is multidisciplinary with product, design, mobile and web teams working closely together to build high quality, scalable and high-performance products. You will work with a group of fun and talented engineers!
You will lead a cross-functional, multidisciplinary team of web development and native mobile software engineers. Through mentorship and removing roadblocks you’ll help your team deliver their projects on time, at a high level of quality, and with engineering excellence. You’ll partner with product managers to develop, prioritize, and execute your team’s roadmap, and together with the team you manage you’ll guide the architecture and implementation strategy for what your engineers build. You’ll also be responsible for supporting the career growth and personal development of the engineers on your team.
- Using agile development methodologies to prioritize, estimate, and deliver projects with increasing efficiency
- Driving your team’s hiring and on-boarding processes
- Measuring and communicating team delivery metrics
- Working with globally distributed leadership and engineering delivery teams
- Mentoring and developing the engineers on your team, including setting goals and delivering reviews
- Working with product managers to build out and execute your team’s strategic vision and roadmap
- Working with tech leads to flesh out technical requirements and advocate for your team’s engineering investments
- Promoting team health and continuous improvement
- Fostering your team’s engineering excellence and limiting their technical debt
- Coordinating projects with cross-team dependencies, across geographic boundaries and timezones
- Communicating project status and issues to stakeholders
- Demonstrated success as a software engineer working on challenging projects of scale
- Experience with asynchronous work across distributed or geographically distributed teams.
- Experience with large-scale consumer-facing web sites is required, and experience with two-sided marketplace businesses is a major plus
- 5+ years of experience managing individual contributors
- Experience with Rover's technology stack (AWS, Python/Django, Docker, Android, iOS, React, SQL).
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- A bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- We are proud to be professional software developers building high quality, scalable, and supportable solutions.
- We embrace progressive engineering practices including a continuous deployment pipeline and automated testing. Our engineers just merge their branch and it ships.
- We're serious about the quality of our production operations, and employ thorough system, application, and user interaction monitoring and anomaly detection.
- We're data-driven and believe in informing many of our decisions through experimentation.
- Our feature teams represent small autonomous business units with developers, product managers, and designers working side-by-side.
- And, dogs in the office. Bring yours, too!
Benefits of Working at Rover.com
- Competitive compensation
- Permanent contract
- Private health and dental insurance
- Gym allowance
- Technical training budget
- Bring your dog to work (and unlimited puppy time)
- Monetary help for adopting a dog plus yearly credit to use on our platform
- Stocked fridges, coffee, soda, and lots of treats (for humans and dogs)
- Free Tuesday breakfast and every other Thursday free company lunch
- Regular team activities, including happy hours, game nights, and more
Rover is an equal opportunity employer committed to promoting a diverse, inclusive and inventive environment with the best employees. We’re driven by seeing our people succeed and grow, and we work to ensure everyone contributes to their fullest potential. We consider all qualified applicants without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, protected veteran status, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. If there are preparations we can make to help ensure you have a comfortable and positive interview experience, please let us know.