Director of Engineering, Infrastructure
Who we are:
Rover.com connects pet parents with the world’s largest network of pet sitters and dog walkers. On Rover, pet parents can easily discover, book, and manage personalized care for their dogs including pet sitting, dog walking, and doggy day care. Founded in 2011 on the belief that everyone should have the opportunity to experience the unconditional love of a dog, Rover improves and simplifies life for pet parents and the dogs they love.
Our global headquarters are in Seattle, Washington in the United States, working closely with our teams in Spokane, Berlin, London, and Barcelona. We have a track record of being recognized as a great place to work, having been named among Seattle's 'Best Places to Work' in Seattle Business Magazine and the Puget Sound Business Journal for three years running. We're an agile, fast-growing company, and our leadership comes from some of the world's most respected tech companies. Our pioneering approach to people and pups alike landed us on the list of GeekWire’s Next Tech Titan in 2019 and the World's Most Innovative Companies in 2018 by Fast Company. Needless to say (but we're going to say it anyway)—we love dogs, and we wouldn't dream of going to work without them by our sides.
Who we're looking for:
The Director of Engineering - Infrastructure will lead a group of teams dedicated to maintaining, growing, and running our cloud and data infrastructure. You will be responsible for maintaining our high standards for uptime, reliability, and responsiveness in a scalable and cost effective way.
The Infrastructure Group has 3 main areas of focus:
1. Cloud Infrastructure - Leverage AWS & Kubernetes to create an infrastructure which is robust, cost effective, and continuously driving towards enabling greater levels of self-service for engineers and data scientists.
2. Data Infrastructure - Use Redshift, RDS, Docker, Python, Kafka, and other technologies to ensure application databases are healthy and the data available to our business is fresh and correct with an eye towards enabling data self-service across the entire organization.
3. Site Reliability Engineering - We are currently establishing a formal SRE program and team, and you will drive the goals, success, and development of this effort.
You will manage and grow high caliber teams that operate knowing how their work connects to the goals, strategy, and mission of the business. You will understand and develop processes to aid the scaling of our organization and its standards.
The infrastructure group is a service organization, and as such you will work broadly across the company serving many stakeholders. A successful candidate will have exceptional communication and relationship building skills.
- Inspire, recruit, develop, and manage top tier talent to work on modern and exciting infrastructure systems across multiple teams, layers, and continents.
- Develop close relationships with stakeholders across the organization and impact our business by accelerating those teams roadmaps via technological decisions paying dividends over long time periods.
- Extend our decision horizon and drive accountability by leading your teams through a quarterly planning, goal setting, and retrospective effort.
- Play a critical role in the development of the global technology budget and drive processes to manage to that budget.
- Develop, maintain, and manage to metrics which demonstrate the health of our systems, teams, and projects.
- Effectively decompose ambiguous strategic goals into programs and projects and ensure the team understands and executes to deliver results.
- Offer mentorship and direction around people management, vision, strategy, and technical design
- While this role does not involve writing code, we are looking for someone with a software engineering background.
- Experience with large-scale consumer-facing web sites running in cloud infrastructure.
- Understanding of some subset of SRE, DevOps, SOA, machine learning, cloud IaaS, and PaaS and an eagerness to learn the rest.
- Experience with Rover’s technology stack or similar: Amazon Web Services, Python / Django, Docker, Elastic Search
- Experience managing multilayer engineering organizations, including experience managing managers, individual contributors, and non-engineering resources.
- Demonstrate a thorough understanding of progressive development practices and how to adapt them situationally
- Experience managing numerous engineering teams in multiple locations including in-house, near-shore, and offshore
- Ability to balance long term, strategic vision with the need to continually deliver on short-term SLAs and incremental feature requests
- Your values align with Rover's Core Values
- We are proud to be professional software developers who build high quality, scalable, and supportable solutions.
- We embrace progressive engineering practices, including a continuous deployment pipeline with automated testing and deployment. Our engineers merge their branches and they ship!
- We're serious about the quality of our production operation and maintain thorough system, application, and user interaction monitoring and anomaly detection.
- We're thoughtful and focused on decision-making with split testing.
- Our teams are integrated teams with developers, product managers, and designers working side-by-side.
- And, dogs in the office. Bring yours, too!
Benefits of Working at Rover.com:
- Competitive compensation
- Stock options
- 4 weeks paid time off
- Competitive benefits package, including medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Commuter benefits
- Bring your dog to work (and unlimited puppy time)
- Doggy benefits, including $1000 toward adopting your first dog
- Stocked fridges, coffee, soda, and lots of treats (for humans and dogs)
- Free catered lunches semi-monthly
- Regular team activities, including happy hours, snow tubing, game nights, and more
- 50 free dog walks a year (Seattle only - for now!)
Candidates must be eligible to work in the US.
Rover is an equal opportunity employer committed to promoting a diverse, inclusive and inventive environment with the best employees. We’re driven by seeing our people succeed and grow, and we work to ensure everyone contributes to their fullest potential. We consider all qualified applicants without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, protected veteran status, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. If there are preparations we can make to help ensure you have a comfortable and positive interview experience, please let us know.