Software Engineer - Payments and Accounting
Who we are:
Rover.com connects pet parents with the world’s largest network of pet sitters and dog walkers. On Rover, pet parents can easily discover, book, and manage personalized care for their dogs including pet sitting, dog walking, and doggy day care. Founded in 2011 on the belief that everyone should have the opportunity to experience the unconditional love of a dog, Rover improves and simplifies life for pet parents and the dogs they love.
Our global headquarters are in Seattle, Washington in the United States, working closely with our teams in Spokane, London, and Barcelona. We have a track record of being recognized as a great place to work, having been named among Seattle's 'Best Places to Work' in Seattle Business Magazine and the Puget Sound Business Journal for three years running. We're an agile, fast-growing company, and our leadership comes from some of the world's most respected tech companies. Our pioneering approach to people and pups alike landed us on the list of GeekWire’s Next Tech Titan in 2019 and the World's Most Innovative Companies in 2018 by Fast Company. Needless to say (but we're going to say it anyway)—we love dogs, and we wouldn't dream of going to work without them by our sides.
The Payments and Accounting team's directives include:
- Provide a robust payments platform to support business growth - We continue to improve our platform by expanding our payment offerings, optimizing checkout flows, and reducing our bottom line expenses with high impact and high visibility projects.
- Ensure customers can pay and providers get paid promptly - We own the integrations with our payment service providers, ensure PCI compliance, and ensure we provide a great customer experience for all the money that flows through our marketplace.
- Ensure financial transaction completeness, accuracy, and auditability - We own the accounting subsystems that handle the company’s financial transaction events and monetary flows. We provide accurate reporting for the Finance and Accounting teams to perform further reconciliation, financial statement preparation, forecasting, budgeting, and audits.
We're looking for engineers who:
- Enjoy architecting a highly robust and scalable platform that is used by engineering teams across the company
- Enjoy working closely with financial transactions, the lifeblood of the marketplace
- Believe that accuracy is essential and debits must always equal credits
- Work comfortably in the backend developing software which interacts with other systems
- Build the customer experience for payments from the UI all the way through to backend reporting
- Prior experience as a professional software developer
- Familiarity with relational databases and schema design
- Rigor in automated testing, code quality, and engineering best practices
Why we’ll hire you
- You get along well with others and thrive in a collaborative, team-oriented environment and your values align with Rover's Core Values.
- You're eager to learn and improve your craft as a software engineer.
- You're able to take loose requirements, work with others to figure out what needs to be done, and drive a project forward.
- You can be your own QA team.
- You have the intuition for when to call it "good enough" to ship and when to put in the extra time to polish.
Not required, but nice to have:
- Experience with financial, accounting or payments systems and interest in innovations within the global payments industry in general
- Experience scaling architecture
- Experience working with large and complex datasets
- Proficiency with Python and Django
- Experience working with Stripe, PayPal, Braintree, and/or NetSuite
Benefits of working for Rover:
- Competitive compensation
- Stock options
- Flexible PTO
- Competitive benefits package, including medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Commuter benefits
- Bring your dog to work (and unlimited puppy time)
- Doggy benefits, including $1000 toward adopting your first dog
- Stocked fridges, coffee, soda, and lots of treats (for humans and dogs) and free catered lunches semi-monthly (currently on hold due to Covid19)
- Regular team activities, including happy hours, snow tubing, game nights, and more (currently being performed virtually due to Covid19)
Rover is an equal opportunity employer committed to promoting a diverse, inclusive and inventive environment with the best employees. We’re driven by seeing our people succeed and grow, and we work to ensure everyone contributes to their fullest potential. We consider all qualified applicants without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, protected veteran status, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable laws, regulations and ordinances.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.