Senior DevOps Engineer
Who we are:
Rover.com connects pet parents with the nation’s largest network of pet sitters and dog walkers. On Rover, pet parents can easily discover, book, and manage personalized care for their dogs including pet sitting, dog walking, and doggy day care. Founded in 2011 on the belief that everyone should have the opportunity to experience the unconditional love of a dog, Rover improves and simplifies life for pet parents and the dogs they love.
We're headquartered in downtown Seattle. We're an agile, fast-growing startup, and our leadership comes from some of the country's most respected tech companies. We've been named among Seattle's "Best Places to Work" in Seattle Met magazine, Seattle Business Magazine, and the Puget Sound Business Journal." We're also a recipient of Seattle Business Magazine's 2015 Tech Impact Awards. Needless to say (but we're going to say it anyway)—we love dogs, and we wouldn't dream of going to work without them by our sides.
Who we're looking for:
We're looking for an experienced software engineer for our technical operations team. This is a hands-on position in a cloud-native environment with the opportunity to be part of and shape the transition to Kubernetes as our strategic platform, make our infrastructure even more scalable and reliable than it already is and work on projects of various sizes with our fellow engineering teams.
The ideal candidate is detail-oriented, has excellent communication skills, loves to work on cutting edge technology, and has a propensity for problem solving and helping others.
What does Infrastructure at Rover look like?
The infrastructure that powers Rover’s consumer facing web app runs in AWS. It is fully automated (IAC and CI/CD) with Kubernetes as its strategic platform. Rover’s data infrastructure has AWS Redshift as its centerpiece which together with a data lake supports various traditional and machine learning based applications. The IT environment uses very little on-premise hardware and leverages SaaS products whenever possible to support end user systems.
The teams of the Infrastructure organization are responsible for data, IT, machine learning and cloud at Rover. Most of our customers are engineers, but collaboration with teams outside of the Tech organization is common.
- You are a DevOps engineer who has deep experience designing, implementing and managing infrastructures for serving consumer-facing web apps and that emphasize stability, security, and transparency
- You have written applications or tools in Python or Go
- You have managed and supported a 24/7 production operation
- You are experienced with designing and implementing tools to enable deployment and monitoring of production infrastructure
- You are experienced at working with Software Engineers and Product Managers to refine loose requirements into detailed specifications, and manage scope to balance outcomes and costs
- You have excellent communication skills, a proactive disposition and love being part of a team
- You have previous experience with business critical 24/7 web operations
- Cloud management - AWS, Docker, Docker Orchestration
- Infrastructure as Code - Terraform (or similar, Cloudformation, etc.)
- System administration - Linux
- Configuration management - SaltStack (or similar tooling - Chef, Ansible, etc.)
- System and application monitoring (New Relic, DataDog, Loggly, etc.)
- Web app development - Python/Django (or similar, Ruby/Rails, etc.)
- Software engineering experience
- Dogs in the office. Bring yours, too!
- Lightweight, Agile processes constantly improved with retrospectives.
- Fully automated testing and deployment system. Just merge your branch and it ships.
- Integrated teams with developers and designers work side-by-side.
- Data-driven decision making with A/B testing.
- Contributions back into the open source community.
Why We’ll Hire You:
- Your qualified for the position and your values align with Rover's Core Values (https://www.rover.com/careers/core-values/)
- You have experience using our tools or similar ones
- You strive for continuous improvement
- You can pitch your own ideas and shepherd them through to completion
- You have a sense for materiality, and know when to call it ‘good enough’ and ship or when to put in the extra time to polish
- You play nicely with others
Benefits of Working at Rover.com:
- Competitive compensation
- Stock options
- 4 weeks paid time off
- Competitive benefits package, including medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Commuter benefits
- Bring your dog to work (and unlimited puppy time)
- Doggy benefits, including $1000 toward adopting your first dog
- Stocked fridges, coffee, soda, and lots of treats (for humans and dogs)
- Free catered lunches semi-monthly
- Regular team activities, including happy hours, snow tubing, game nights, and more
- 50 free dog walks a year
This position is based at Rover HQ in Downtown Seattle.
Candidates must be eligible to work in the US.