User Experience Design Director
Stockholm Metropolitan Area /
Design – Stockholm Studio /
Rovio’s Stockholm Studio is the studio behind the hugely popular Angry Birds 2, the bigger, badder and birdier sequel to the global phenomenon that put Angry Birds on the map. The studio is dedicated to making the Angry Birds 2 game experience ever more exciting for players, developing continual improvements, as well as running world class live ops every day.
In addition to Angry Birds 2, Stockholm studio is actively developing new titles in the RPG genre, with the Angry Birds brand and also new original IPs. Our ambitious teams are full of passionate RPG players who are eager to leave their mark. We describe our approach to this wide genre as “lean RPG” – we strive to create games that are approachable, but retain the deep mechanics and late game that RPG players know and love.
When making games with our lean RPG approach, we employ the design pillars of approachability, fresh core gameplay, a focus on our super fans, and creating living game experiences through live-ops. Our development is driven by our players. We use data to provide insights into our players’ needs, and we always strive for improvement through continual iteration.
Our Stockholm Studio is looking for a User Experience Design Director, who works directly with project teams and stakeholders to ensure great user experience across key games in the Studio. You will build the UX craft in the Stockholm studio, recruiting training and mentoring UX designers to support the game teams in different phases of development by visualizing, prototyping and documenting the UX and UI design. You will ensure the UX design is in line with the overall vision of the game and help executing on that vision. You will set the UX standard and vision for the studio as a whole and communicate the vision to key stakeholders internally and externally.
- Create and communicate UX design drivers, deliverables, player goals and UX KPIs for the studio and individual games.
- Drive the development of tools, best practices, processes, techniques and methodologies in the game teams to ensure the craft keeps developing
- Ability to visualize and communicate designs to the team and stakeholders through storyboards, wireframes, prototypes, screen mock-ups, reference games etc. Document the designs accordingly.
- Work hands-on with studio priority project(s) and can be embedded on a project depending on project/studio needs. Has the overall ownership of the UX design in a game project they are working on.
Who we think will do great in this role has:
- Excellent understanding of UX design as being the key component behind the best games.
- Solid experience in refining game concepts into comprehensive stories. You know how to break the whole multiyear game experience into parts and re-create it into a riveting story. Perfecting the player journey and pacing keeps you on your toes.
- Follow the trends and actively play mobile F2P games; hopefully especially RPG games.
- A breadth and depth of entertainment interests outside of games.
- We love very hard problems. Hope you do too.
- First meeting: before diving deeper into your skills, we want to know who you are, what your experience has been to date and what motivates you. This is also an opportunity for you to learn more about Rovio.
- Second meeting: Meeting with UX Director from another studio
- Final rounds: You will meet the wider team, our Head of Studio, Game Leads, UX Designers, and HR.
In summary: Your UX vision will change the way players and the industry think of mobile F2P games. The strategy games you participate in developing aim to become household names. Look forward to hearing from you and receiving a showcase of your past work!