Sr. Field Oceanographer/Project Manager
Houston - Westchase
Energy – Metocean
RPS North America provides engineering, environmental, and scientific advice across the US and Canada. We offer a comprehensive range of consulting services and technology solutions to support our clients in all sectors of the economy. We serve as the North American platform of RPS Group, one of the world's preeminent consultancies.
The MetOcean, Science, & Technology Division of RPS, has an opening for a highly motivated individual to join our team as a Senior Field Oceanographer/Project Manager in Houston, TX. We are seeking a self-starting individual with a positive attitude experienced in coordinating and leading large scale physical oceanographic studies both in the US and abroad. The optimal candidate will have a minimum of 6 years of experience in planning, mobilizing, and overseeing large scale physical oceanographic studies in a commercial environment. Direct experience with designing, assembling deploying and recovering deep-water moorings is critical. The position includes working on projects onshore and offshore in the US and internationally, and out of town travel for periods of 2 days to 4 weeks on short notice will be required. Position requires a valid driver’s license and eligibility for a passport and TWIC card.
Qualifications and Experience
· Bachelor’s degree in oceanography
· Six years of experience in the large scale oceanographic studies including managing field teams and operations of oceanographic equipment
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
· Excellent analytical and problem solving skills
· Self-motivated and able to work independently and within a team environment
· Must be able to adjust readily to change, make decisions independently
· Experience in the installation and operation of ADCPs, meteorological systems, wave buoys, deployment/recovery systems, water quality sensors and navigation packages.
· Experience in troubleshooting electronics including serial data communication and networking
· Strong communication skills and experience in client interactions
· Experience in managing deck operations during the deployment and recovery of large met-ocean measurement packages.
· Demonstrated experience in conducting operations in accordance with industry standards for health and safety.
· Experience in project documentation and reporting.
· Time series data QA/QC and processing
· Computer programming, Matlab, Python, VB
Knowledge and experience of data telemetry systems
RPS is an industry leader and we pride ourselves on our ability to attract and retain exceptional talent by treating our employees well. In addition to competitive compensation packages, we offer:
· Medical, dental, disability, and life insurance coverage for employees and families, with no waiting period and generous contributions to monthly premiums.
· 401(k) Plan, with a dollar-for-dollar Company match of employee contributions, up to 5% of eligible compensation
· Share Purchase Plan, which enables employees to purchase shares via payroll deductions at 85% of market value, with the Company matching employees’ shares 1:1
· Flexible Spending Accounts for health care and dependent care costs.
· Performance-based bonus program.
· Generous vacation and sick leave policies in addition to company-wide paid holidays.
RPS North America provides equal employment opportunity to all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or other protected characteristics. RPS complies with all applicable federal, state, and local laws and requirements governing nondiscrimination in every location in which we operate.