TEMP - Associate Engineer
Manufacturing & Technical Operations
Rubius Therapeutics is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company that is generating red blood cells and engineering them into an entirely new class of allogeneic, off-the-shelf cellular medicines. Our Red Cell Therapeutics™ can potentially be used to replace missing enzymes for patients living with rare enzyme deficiencies, kill tumors in cancer and regulate the immune system for the treatment of autoimmune diseases. We expect to begin enrolling patients in our first clinical trial during the first half of 2020, which is evaluating RTX-134 for the treatment of phenylketonuria, an inherited metabolic disorder. Additionally, we have filed our first oncology IND for RTX-240 for the treatment of solid tumors. We plan to file an IND for RTX-321 for the treatment of HPV-Positive Tumors by year-end.
We are proud of our passionate, high-performance culture – one based on a set of values that are the cornerstone of who we are and how we hold ourselves accountable. Founded in 2013, we are based in Cambridge, MA and currently expanding across all functions within the organization. Having completed our initial public offering in July 2018, (Nasdaq: RUBY), we are well capitalized to execute our vision of creating life-changing cellular medicines. Red blood cells are no longer just for carrying oxygen. Check us out at www.rubiustx.com or follow us on Twitter and LinkedIn.
We are seeking an Associate Engineer (contract) to support solution preparation and process support activities within the upstream and downstream process development of Red Cell Therapeutics at our Cambridge, MA location. This associate will perform tasks including preparation and characterization of raw material stock solutions, upstream media formulations, and downstream process buffers while also contributing significantly to the buildout of infrastructure, workflows, and procedures needed to ensure consistent delivery of solution requests and traceable documentation of all source materials. This associate will also provide process support to the small scale and pilot scale process development teams with analyzer maintenance, bioreactor vessel preparation, inventory management, and other support activities as needed.
- Preparation of chemical reagents, stock solutions, upstream medias, and downstream/formulation buffers
- Implementation of and adherence to a lot release criteria program for all stock solutions, upstream medias, and downstream buffers including analytical measurements such as pH, osmolality, density, conductivity, etc
- Assist in bioreactor preparation support including pre-build, calibration, and sterilization
- Perform routine analyzer maintenance activities including calibration, reference checks, routine cleaning or maintenance, troubleshooting and vendor coordination
- Data entry into electronic laboratory notebook environment
- Demonstrate initiative to perform routine solution request coordination with other lab Scientists and Engineers
- Implementing and documenting new solution preparation procedures
- Manage raw material inventory including routine inventory checks to prevent stockout
- Be flexible and comfortable learning new laboratory tasks and equipment
- Assist other scientists and engineers as needed with complex tasks and experimentation
- Demonstrate initiative to assure performance of routine testing responsibilities
- Conduct lab experiments with and without documented standard operating procedures (SOPs)
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervisory guidance
- Exhibit strong teamwork and communication skills, and flexibility to work in a fast-paced and pioneering field
- Update SME of progress on frequent basis; seek additional guidance as needed
- Ability to logically work through complex issues in a fast-paced environment
Qualifications & Education
- Preferred B.S. degree in biochemistry, bioengineering, pharmaceutical sciences or related field with 0-2 years of experience in solution preparation, inventory management, or process development activities
- Strong understanding of and previous experience with aseptic technique
- Preferred background with solution solubility and reagent preparation
- Excellent oral and interpersonal communication skills
- Highly organized and showing initiative in day to day coordination skills
- Adaptable to a fast changing environment
- Prior experience with array of analytical techniques to characterize solutions such as pH, osmolality, conductivity, density, and or turbidity measurements
EEO Statement: Rubius Therapeutics is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
Recruitment & staffing agencies: Rubius Therapeutics does not accept agency resumes unless contacted directly by internal Rubius Talent Acquisition. Please do not forward resumes to our firstname.lastname@example.org account, Rubius employees or any other company location; Rubius Therapeutics is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.