Head of Environmental Health & Safety - Manufacturing
Manufacturing & Technical Operations
Rubius Therapeutics is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company that is generating red blood cells and engineering them into an entirely new class of allogeneic, off-the-shelf cellular medicines. Our Red Cell Therapeutics™ can potentially be used to replace missing enzymes for patients living with rare enzyme deficiencies, kill tumors in cancer and regulate the immune system for the treatment of autoimmune diseases. We expect to begin enrolling patients in our first clinical trial during the second quarter of 2019, which is evaluating RTX-134 for the treatment of phenylketonuria, an inherited metabolic disorder. Additionally, we plan to file our first oncology IND for RTX-240 for the treatment of solid tumors by early 2020. In total, we plan to file four to five INDs during 2019 and 2020.
We are proud of our passionate, high-performance culture – one based on a set of values that are the cornerstone of who we are and how we hold ourselves accountable. Founded in 2013, we are based in Cambridge, MA and currently expanding across all functions within the organization. Having completed our initial public offering in July 2018, (Nasdaq: RUBY), we are well capitalized to execute our vision of creating life-changing cellular medicines. Red blood cells are no longer just for carrying oxygen. Check us out at www.rubiustx.com or follow us on Twitter and LinkedIn.
The Head of Environmental Health and Safety (EH&S) at Rubius Manufacturing will have the opportunity to establish and mature a world class EH&S program from the ground floor. As a member of the Site Leadership Team reporting directly to the Site Head, this individual will be well positioned to affect any necessary change and ensure top level performance of the site. They is responsible for identifying, developing, implementing, and maintaining policies and programs ensuring that Rubius Manufacturing consistently remain compliant with all state and federal requirements. This individual will foster an environment of personal and collective safety through the professional education and counseling of Site staff; safety at Rubius Manufacturing is owned by everyone and embodied by all.
- Drive continuous improvement in EH&S performance and programs
- Provide expert assessment of hazardous waste management ensuring that all local, state, and federal rules & regulations are strictly adhered too
- Manage relationships and contracts, as appropriate, for environmental consultants and contractors
- Represent Rubius Manufacturing at meetings with the Town of Smithfield and ensures the Site remains an outstanding community partner
- Establish, maintain, and monitor Site Emergency Response Plan
- Maintain and mature the Site Safety awareness program
- Develop and roll out of Site’s anoxia program to include monitoring and control of asphyxiating gases including CO, CO2, N2, O2 and LEL
- Provide consultation/direction for integration of a world class behavioral based safety program
- Participate in daily management meetings and represent the EH&S perspective
- Ensure Site-wide fire protection systems are maintained in an operable manner by ensuring state and local requirements are met and all permitting is achieved
- Receive, review, and process all MSDS
- Develop daily ways of working that strongly focus the Site on leading safety indicators
- Act as Subject Matter Expert (SME) for all EH&S business matters to include establishing and maintaining required permits, compliance sampling/monitoring programs and agency reporting
- Provide structure, tools and expert consultation for job risk assessments (JRAs)
- Owner of Site EH&S Risk Register and responsible for project management of all countermeasures
- May provide secondary construction project support as a subject matter expert during each phase of the project – design, construction and post construction
- Develop and maintain Site EH&S metrics and report outs
Experience and Qualifications
- Bachelors degree with 5 years of EH&S experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Expert level understanding of all local, state, and federal EH&S regulations
- Biotechnology experience is a requirement; experience working in a Cell Therapy Manufacturing Facility with BSL-2 operations is a plus
- Deep experience in accident/incident investigation and root cause analysis
- Incident Command, HAZMAT and first responder experience/qualifications preferred
- Excellent training and staff development abilities
EEO Statement: Rubius Therapeutics is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
Recruitment & staffing agencies: Rubius Therapeutics does not accept agency resumes unless contacted directly by internal Rubius Talent Acquisition. Please do not forward resumes to our firstname.lastname@example.org account, Rubius employees or any other company location; Rubius Therapeutics is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.