Senior Site Reliability Engineer
Remote (Asia) /
Run The World enables live online events that people love worldwide. Our mission is to create a world where people can easily meet, collaborate, and learn from others with similar expertise, interests, and passions—regardless of their particular location or circumstances.
We’re a global, silicon-valley based, well-funded startup backed by top VC’s and angel investors including Andreessen Horowitz, and C-level executives from Facebook, Twitter, and Atlassian. Our founding team are veterans from Facebook and Instagram and have been featured on TechCrunch, Business Insider, Silicon Valley Business Journal, CNBC, and more.
We’re experiencing explosive growth now more than ever and we’re looking for like-minded high-performers to break the barriers that limit access to knowledge, connections, and communities, and enable people to “Run the World.”
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
Site Reliability Engineers, or Devops Engineers, are responsible for the overall performance and reliability of Run The World’s infrastructure and products. SREs design and implement the tools that automate building reliable and performant systems. To be specific, you will:
* Automation. SREs are obsessed with automation and tooling
* System Architecture, including upstream and downstream dependencies
* Deployment & Change Management, Canary and Release processes
* Resiliency strategies, such as Load and Failure testing
* Drive efficiencies in systems and processes: capacity planning, configuration management, performance tuning, and monitoring
* Availability, performance, efficiency & scaling.
* Incident response, including on-call experience and a comprehensive postmortem process
WHAT THE TEAM LOOKS LIKE:
Run The World is an all-remote company based in silicon-valley. The product team, including engineers, product managers, QAs, and designers, are mostly located in Asia. C-level executives and operational team are in the US. Most product team members speak fluent Chinese with some bilingual in English. As an all-remote company where employees spread in the US and Asia, the overlapped time in a day between 9AM to 12PM UTC+8 is filled with regular meetings and cross-team discussions.
This is an early start-up stage company full of chaotics. We thrive to make a great product while optimizing ourselves to be a great company.
WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR:
* A good understanding of large-scale distributed systems in practice, including multi-tier architectures, application security, monitoring and storage systems
* Systematic problem solving approach and knowledge of algorithms, data structures and complexity analysis
* Power-user Linux knowledge and willingness to explore Linux internals
* Good programming skills in at least one of the following: Go, C, C++, Python, Java and ability to pick up new ones.
* Good scripting skills
* Fluent in Mandarin
WHAT MAKES YOU STAND OUT?
* Understanding of Unix/Linux systems from kernel to shell and beyond, taking in system libraries, file systems, and client-server protocols along the way
* Networking: knowledge and understanding of network theory, such as different protocols (TCP/IP, UDP, ICMP, etc), MAC addresses, IP packets, DNS, OSI layers, and load balancing
* Advanced level knowledge on at least one of the following: MySQL, ElasticSearch or similar technologies
* Caching and queuing technologies knowledge (Redis, memcache, RabbitMQ, Apache Kafka)
* Experience with IDC, AWS, GCP or Azure
* Contributions to open source software
* [BIG BONUS] Extensive ETL development experience with big data systems such as GCP BigQuery, AWS Redshift, Snowflake