Web Graphics Engineer
Brooklyn, New York /
About the role
We believe that the future of media creation is collaborative and accessible. For that reason, it needs to live on the web, and it needs to be powered by open web technologies. That, of course, doesn’t come without challenges: in order to create a browser-based creative tool that is as performant and robust as native applications, we need to push the boundaries of what’s currently possible with web graphics.
We're looking for a strong engineer with the right mindset of craftsmanship and experimentation to help us solve those challenges. You’ll be working closely with our frontend engineering and design teams to develop high-performance graphics primitives to power Runway’s video and image synthesis interfaces. The best fit for this role possesses not only a thorough understanding of the graphics pipeline, but also a taste for elegant and robust abstractions that the rest of the frontend team can rely on and build upon.
This is a full-time role. We are based in New York, but welcome remote applications from everywhere 🌍
About the company
Runway is building the next generation of creative tools. We are a small team of artists, engineers, developers, and researchers working together to predict-by-inventing the future. Our team members used to work at NYU, Disney Research, IBM Research, Linode, and Stanford.
We have built a tool that makes machine learning easy and accessible for all types of creatives. And our users love it. But our vision is bigger. We are transforming how content and media is created. For decades, media creation has relied on incremental iterations of the same old tools. And while some of those tools have become smarter in recent years, they're still very much rooted in an outdated paradigm. We've been stuck with the same old Creative Suite for way too long. Artificial intelligence and machine learning will not just bring automation at every scale, but a significant change in how we create. That's why Runway is reimagining how we create, so we can create new things.
Runway has an active and growing community of artists and creators all over the world. IBM, Google, R/GA, New Balance, Chanel, and dozen of companies are using Runway to create and explore new creative boundaries. Runway is also used to teach at a wide variety of institutions. From architectural programs at MIT to self-organized independent workshops in Perú.
We are a young company and this role is a unique opportunity to join a market-defining company in its early stages.
Examples of the kinds of projects you’ll be working on
- High-performance interactive UI components for human-in-the-loop machine learning.
- WebGL-based compositor and layout engine for media editing.
- React reconciler and component library for WebGL UI rendering.
- Post-processing shaders for image and video effects.
- Familiarity with the GPU rendering pipeline, and experience building high-performance graphics applications with WebGL.
- Experience profiling and optimizing web applications, with a deep understanding of developer tools of different browsers.
- Experience with VFX software such as Blender, Nuke, Houdini, or a game engine like Unreal or Unity, and general awareness of the landscape of creative tools.
- Interest in the latest developments in the intersection of graphics and machine learning.
- Ability to rapidly prototype solutions and iterate on them with tight product deadlines.
- Strong communication, collaboration, and documentation skills.
More about Runway
- The Verge: Runway ML puts AI tools in the hands of creators everywhere
- TechWeek: Runway ML – Harnessing AI to augment creativity
- iHeart Radio Sleepwalkers: Chocolate Chicken Chicken Cake
- Runway at the Machine Learning for Creativity and Design NeurIPS 2018 Workshop, Montreal, Canada
- MIT DocuBase: Interview with Cristóbal Valenzuela, Founder of RunwayML
- Corridor Crew: This Crazy A.I. Filter Turns Cartoons Into NIGHTMARES