New York, NY /
Full-time / Remote
About the role
We’re looking for a strong Frontend Engineer to help us build new interfaces for content creation. The best fit for this role has an eye for good design and smooth interactivity, strives to write clean and maintainable code, and has a deep interest in the future of creative tools and browser technologies. You’ll be working closely with our design team as well as the backend team to implement new features for the Runway application, as well as participating in user research sessions to understand how Runway is being used by creators across the world.
This is a full-time role. We are based in New York, but welcome remote applications from everywhere 🌍
About the company
Runway is building the next generation of creative tools. We are a small team of artists, engineers, developers, and researchers working together to predict-by-inventing the future. Our team members used to work at NYU, Disney Research, IBM Research, Linode, and Stanford.
We've built a tool that makes machine learning easy and accessible for all types of creatives. And our users love it. But our vision is bigger. We are transforming how content and media is created. For decades, media creation has relied on incremental iterations of the same old tools. And while some of those tools have become smarter in recent years, they're still very much rooted in an outdated paradigm. We've been stuck with the same old Creative Suite for way too long. Artificial intelligence and machine learning will not just bring automation at every scale, but a significant change in how we create. That's why Runway is reimagining how we create, so we can create new things.
Runway has an active and growing community of artists and creators all over the world. IBM, Google, R/GA, New Balance, Chanel, and dozen of companies are using Runway to create and explore new creative boundaries. Runway is also used to teach at a wide variety of institutions. From architectural programs at MIT to self-organized independent workshops in Perú.
We are a young company and this role is a unique opportunity to join a market-defining company in its early stages.
- Knowledge of TypeScript, React, and modern web UI development frameworks.
- Expertise in building robust and accessible web interfaces.
- Ability to profile and optimize web applications, with a deep understanding of developer tools of different browsers.
- Understanding of best practices for modern web application development, as well as continuous integration and deployment.
- Deep interest in the landscape of creative tools and ability to emphasize with creators.
- Ability to rapidly prototype solutions and iterate on them with tight product deadlines.
- Strong communication, collaboration, and documentation skills.
More about Runway
- The Verge: Runway ML puts AI tools in the hands of creators everywhere
- TechWeek: Runway ML – Harnessing AI to augment creativity
- iHeart Radio Sleepwalkers: Chocolate Chicken Chicken Cake
- Runway at the Machine Learning for Creativity and Design NeurIPS 2018 Workshop, Montreal, Canada
- MIT DocuBase: Interview with Cristóbal Valenzuela, Founder of RunwayML
- Corridor Crew: This Crazy A.I. Filter Turns Cartoons Into NIGHTMARES