Machine Learning Engineer
Brooklyn, New York /
About the role
At Runway, we’re building a next-generation creative tool that enables a new level of interactivity with cloud-based machine learning models. For our tool to be maximally expressive, it needs to establish a seamless feedback loop between its users and the machine learning models powering its abilities. It’s not sufficient for our models to be accurate; nor is it enough for our user interface to be beautiful and responsive; we need to ensure that the link between the two is as fast and reliable as possible.
For this reason, we’re looking for a Machine Learning Engineer who can help us create the server-side engine that powers our interactive tools for image and video synthesis. You’ll be working closely with our research and frontend teams to design and build low-latency, high-reliability machine learning deployments. The best fit for the role is someone who is deeply interested in the intersection of machine learning and systems design, and has extensive experience building web-based real-time server applications.
This is a full-time role. We are based in New York, but welcome remote applications from everywhere 🌍
About the company
Runway is building the next generation of creative tools. We are a small team of artists, engineers, developers, and researchers working together to predict-by-inventing the future. Our team members used to work at NYU, Disney Research, IBM Research, Linode, and Stanford.
We have built a tool that makes machine learning easy and accessible for all types of creatives. And our users love it. But our vision is bigger. We are transforming how content and media is created. For decades, media creation has relied on incremental iterations of the same old tools. And while some of those tools have become smarter in recent years, they're still very much rooted in an outdated paradigm. We've been stuck with the same old Creative Suite for way too long. Artificial intelligence and machine learning will not just bring automation at every scale, but a significant change in how we create. That's why Runway is reimagining how we create, so we can create new things.
Runway has an active and growing community of artists and creators all over the world. IBM, Google, R/GA, New Balance, Chanel, and dozen of companies are using Runway to create and explore new creative boundaries. Runway is also used to teach at a wide variety of institutions. From architectural programs at MIT to self-organized independent workshops in Perú.
We are a young company and this role is a unique opportunity to join a market-defining company in its early stages.
- Solid knowledge of at least one machine learning research framework (e.g. PyTorch, Tensorflow), and at least one high-performance inference framework (e.g. TensorRT, Apache TVM).
- Experience profiling and optimizing deep neural networks, including knowledge of GPU profiling tools such as NVIDIA Nsight.
- Familiarity with Python-based image and video manipulation/encoding/decoding frameworks, such as OpenCV and PyAV.
- Experience with cloud orchestration systems such as Kubernetes and cloud providers such as AWS, GCP, and Azure.
- Opinionated about writing robust and maintainable server-client architectures and APIs.
- Ability to rapidly prototype solutions and iterate on them with tight product deadlines.
- Strong communication, collaboration, and documentation skills.
More about Runway
- The Verge: Runway ML puts AI tools in the hands of creators everywhere
- TechWeek: Runway ML – Harnessing AI to augment creativity
- iHeart Radio Sleepwalkers: Chocolate Chicken Chicken Cake
- Runway at the Machine Learning for Creativity and Design NeurIPS 2018 Workshop, Montreal, Canada
- MIT DocuBase: Interview with Cristóbal Valenzuela, Founder of RunwayML
- Corridor Crew: This Crazy A.I. Filter Turns Cartoons Into NIGHTMARES