Consulting Safety Officer (CSO)
Cambridge, MA /
EHS Client Services /
Full or part-time
As a Consulting Safety Officer (CSO) you will have the continual opportunity to create, implement, and maintain EHS programs for our growing list of life science and high-tech clients. Most of your time will be spent with clients at their locations developing and implementing customized programs in hazard communication, biosafety, chemical safety, emergency preparedness, radiation safety, and facilities safety. You will have a significant opportunity to interact with visionaries, researchers, and senior management at leading firms in a fast-paced, highly varied environment. Being comfortable working with all different types of people in different corporate cultures is essential!
We take pride in our staff having a strong science background. Being able to speak peer-to-peer is critical to our clients. As former scientists with a continual passion for learning our consultants understand what EHS policies and procedures can mean to experiments, timelines, and new products and procedures.
If you are self-motivated, adaptable, willing to constantly learn, and want to be an “expert generalist” in EHS for life sciences, come join us!
- Hands-on development and implementation of client EHS programs, including: Biosafety, Chemical Safety, Radiation Safety, Hazard Communication, Emergency Preparedness, Additional OSHA specific safety programs as needed
- Establishment and maintenance of EHS permits and licenses in compliance with Federal, State, and Local regulations.
- Conduct Job Safety Analyses for hazardous materials processes.
- Conduct Risk Assessments to analyze and evaluate the proper handling of biological materials.
- Work with client staff to bring about a high-level match of EHS culture and worker safety activities to written policies, procedures, instructions and manuals.
- Coordinate and facilitate safety committees.
- Prepare and deliver training to fulfill regulatory requirements and ensure client employees are fully aware of the safety program.
- Coordinate specialized training, such as RCRA, DOT, IATA, OSHA HAZWOPER, Wastewater Operator, CPR, First Aid, and AED.
- Maintain complete documentation of all aspects of the EHS program.
- Bachelor's degree in Life Sciences; Biology or Chemistry degrees strongly preferred.
- Master’s degree or PhD in Life Sciences preferred.
- 5+ years of experience in a laboratory setting (biotechnology, pharmaceutical research, academic science, or medical technology science preferred) or EHS related work experience.
- Knowledge of two or more of the following: OSHA, DEP, EPA, RCRA, DOT, DPH, MWRA, NIH, NFPA, DEA, CDC regulations as they pertain to life science, nanotechnology or engineering companies.
Required Skills and Competencies
- Strong professional communication and written skills.
- Able to positively interact both internally among the client staff and externally with regulatory agencies.
- Must be highly organized with strong prioritization skills, and possess the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Must be able to drive into Cambridge/Boston, MA, up to 5 days per week.
- Productivity and resiliency in a dynamic, fast paced consulting environment.
- High level of professional judgment.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Experience and comfort with public speaking.
What you need to be successful in this role:
- Service oriented with personable positive attitude.
- Ability to successfully negotiate and promote safety programs and services.
- Strong initiative to dig into resources efficiently and effectively.
- Ability to independently solve problems with little supervision, but recognize when help is needed.
- OSHA Emergency Response Operations Level or above.
- Industrial Hygiene courses relevant to laboratory settings.
- 40 hour Principles and Practices of Biosafety or courses targeting biosafety in research labs.
- 40 hour Radiation Safety Officer Course.
Please note that at this time we are only considering local candidates.