Director of Industrial Hygiene
Bedford, MA /
EHS Client Services /
As the Director of Industrial Hygiene you will work to protect employees' health in the workplace by creating and implementing programs, policies and procedures to measure and reduce employees' exposure to physical, chemical, biological and ergonomic stress factors. You will be responsible for the development and growth of a diverse program adding strategic value to the organization.
To be successful in this role you must be passionate, driven by both the ethics and science of industrial hygiene and are always seeking innovative solutions to support organizations in their efforts to protect the safety of their employees. You must be collaborative, innately curious, a mentor to all and full of ingenuity.
Management of all industrial hygiene projects, which includes the following:
· Determination of the strategic vision for industrial hygiene program including the establishment of a budget, growth of program, and cross collaboration with internal departments for branding growth and capabilities.
· High level assessment completion of potential chemical exposures for a broad client base. Project deliverables include full report with certification stamp outlining findings and recommendations. Follow up work often required to further assess efficiency of controls implemented. May include working with lab to determine sampling methods and rental of monitoring equipment. Assessments may also include site visits to review current processes, writing and executing sampling plans, interpreting results, making recommendations and authoring reports.
· Noise level monitoring at client sites including measurement of noise hazards and all necessary reporting.
· Ventilation review of workspaces which may include review for COVID related concerns, ensuring good general ventilation in the lab, recommendations and assessments of source point control ventilation and design of custom ventilation for specific projects.
· Decommissioning of laboratory spaces including the creation and stamp close out report, and/or working with building management in reviewing reports from tenants.
· Tracking of all decontamination projects.
· In coordination with internal members of the Safety Partners team, and as appropriate, write SOWs for incoming work.
· Attendance at NEAIHA, AIHA and other professional meetings to keep current in IH community.
· When the opportunity is available, give talks at meetings such as LEPC for visibility of Safety Partners program offerings.
· Educate employees and clients on importance of IH and how to integrate it into their existing programs.
· Mentoring of identified Consulting Safety Officers interested in IH to both help grow program and allow them for personal growth to work towards their own certification.
Management of sustainability initiative, which include the following:
· Drive program development including organizing internal resources to create a program executable to clients in early 2021.
· Identification of specific areas of advisement, creation of measurable goals for each segment, determination of implementation for clients and measuring continual progress through development.
· Document management by client per initiative.
· Bachelor’s degree in chemistry or related field; Master’s degree preferred.
· Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH).
· 8+ years work experience in similar role.
· Proficient knowledge of relevant laws, regulations, policies and procedures.
Required Skills and Competencies
· Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
· Ability to multitask and prioritize tasks.
· Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
· Extensive knowledge of safety and health hazards.
· Ability to identify potential health and safety risks.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
· Ability to address industrial hygiene issues with staff of all levels.
· Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite or similar software.