Business Development Manager - Retail Agri-Food, Assurance (West Coast USA)
San Diego, CA.
Assurance – Sales
Position: Business Development Manager – Retail Agri-Food, Assurance
Department: Commercial Sales – Assurance
Location: Home-Based (West Coast USA)
Reports To: Director, Retail Agri-Food, Americas
Compensation: Competitive / Market – Base + Commission
BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT MANAGER – RETAIL AGRI-FOOD, ASSURANCE
At SAI Global, the Business Development Manager within the Retail Agri-Food group has the primary responsibility of driving sales for our certification, training, and auditing and inspection services by presenting SAI Global as a strategic partner for food safety management.
The Business Development Manager - Retail Agri-Food Assurance will focus on expansion in key markets by identifying target accounts in their assigned territory, along with executing effective sales campaigns that result in closed business for the company. Successful candidates will have a “Hunter” mentality with the ability to work in a fast-paced environment, manage several simultaneous sales campaigns, and transition closed accounts to colleagues in professional services and support. Immediate documentation of deal-related activities is expected, and accurate reporting of deal status is a critical and a measured component of the job.
- Meet annual sales goals for retail agri-food certification and training services, with a core focus on hunting new business, both Enterprise and SMB accounts within the West US region.
- Qualify target accounts using “Consultative Selling” methodologies and primarily hunt into prospected accounts to sign new business (~60%), while also hunting into untapped areas within our existing book of business (~40%).
- Develop subject matter expertise in the realm of retail agriculture and food safety in order to effectively market our content to clients in need of training on various, regulated standards.
- Execute a consultative sales process from opportunity identification, through negotiation of license agreement, in order to meet quarterly and annual sales goals.
- Manage all aspects of a research based, strategic sales process to identify new opportunities based upon understanding client needs.
- Manage and coordinate the smooth transition from pre-sales to post-sales activities.
- Efficiently move targeted accounts from qualification through evaluation, technical review, and proposal, following through with successful negotiation to closure.
- Deliver effective executive presentations to demonstrate compelling business use case and strategic partnership, based upon SAI Global differentiation and unique value.
- Maintain accurate account and opportunity information in Salesforce.com, including timely updates to opportunity pipeline and monthly forecasts.
- Support delivery of timely response to requests for information (RFI) and proposal (RFP) for well-qualified opportunities.
- Work collaboratively with other internal departments, particularly product management, services, and customer support, to enable effective client implementation and ongoing support and satisfaction.
- Utilize Microsoft Office 365 tools to communicate and strategize with other SAI Global sales and service team members on cross selling opportunities within assigned territory.
- Remain engaged with customers through implementation process and maintain a leadership role in ongoing client relationship management.
- Represent SAI Global as a thought leader in the retail agri-food markets, while providing critical market perspective, trends insight, and feedback to SAI Global leadership.
- Represent SAI Global at industry groups and conferences, while gathering market and competitive intelligence to report back to leadership and stay abreast of new industry developments.
- Actively engage in industry networking events to establish credibility and develop referrals for new opportunities.
- Work effectively in a home office environment (45-50%), while meeting with new account prospects and current clients – traveling (45-50%), and occasionally meeting onsite in our corporate offices.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Degree from an accredited four-year college or university is strongly preferred, but not strictly required.
- Proven track record as a senior services sales professional, with a track record that aligns closer to hunting new business versus farming existing accounts – ideally 6-15+ years of professional, sales experience.
- Experience selling on a services model, preferably to both enterprise accounts and SMB clients.
- Preference for candidates who have experience selling retail agri-food certification and trainings.
- Strong business acumen and confidence/comfort meeting with senior executives and other positions of importance, including directors of compliance, food and safety managers, etc.
- Adept ability to create strong customer relationships and leverage them for cross-sell opportunities, with expert sales process management skills.
- Knowledge, or general understanding, of retail agri-food business challenges and solutions within Corporate Markets – big bonus!
- Basic technical ability with Microsoft Office 365 products, Salesforce.com (or other popular CRM brands, IE. Siebel), and remote meeting tools (IE. GoToMeeting).
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills.
- Self-motivated and reliable, with a strong independent work ethic and entrepreneurial mindset.
- Thoughtful problem solving skills and mature, polished business acumen rooted in years of client-facing experience.
- Expected to work independently, and as part of a virtual team where open, collaborative communication is encouraged.
- Disciplined time and territory management skills.
- Full commitment to conduct business with the utmost integrity and in full compliance with the law.
At SAI Global, we help organizations proactively manage risk to achieve business excellence, growth, sustainability and ultimately, create trust.
Our integrated risk management solutions are a combination of world-class tech platforms, learning tools, and advisory services that operate across the entire lifecycle allowing businesses to focus on opportunities presented by uncertainty. Together, these tools and content services enable customers to develop a holistic, integrated view of risk.
SAI Global head office is located in Chicago. We employ more than 2,000 people across 29 countries and 51 locations across Europe, the Middle East, Africa, the Americas, Asia and the Pacific.