San Jose, CA /
Manufacturing and Quality /
Title: Battery Engineer
Location: San Jose, CA
Sakuu is reinventing battery technology and manufacturing via products and process disruption. In process, our solid-state batteries are rapid printed from the transformative Kavian™ platform in agile gigafactory settings, which enables mass-scale, cost -effective, and sustainable production to meet global cell demand in our product, our Swift Print™ solid-state batteries best in class performance and safety in a recyclable and customizable format. Proprietary cell technologies provide superior energy densities for nearly limitless industry applications. The big picture impact of our manufacturing and battery technology is profound.
We need highly talented and enthusiastic minds to join our mission to help transform electric mobility, energy storage, and sustainable manufacturing- for a healthier planet.
We are seeking an engineer, with an emphasis on battery materials characterization and processes within the Lithium Research & Development group. The selected candidate will play a key role in developing, formulating, testing and characterization of electrode materials for high performance lithium metal batteries.
· Use materials characterization techniques (SEM, EDS, XRD, XPS, TGA, DSC, DLS) to Characterize the surface properties of anode to improve Li metal anode performance
· Understand and participate in co-optimization of electrolyte and anode materials for optimal system-level performance and improved SEI properties
· Assist in the transition of new product concepts into the product development pipeline
· Build battery cells from coin cell to pouch cell, perform cell qualification and maintain battery testing equipment
· Perform electrochemical tests including cyclic voltammetry, electrochemical impedance spectroscopy, common potentiostatic and galvanostatic methods, analyze and manage data
· Practice proper laboratory procedures in compliance with Corporate HS&E policy and maintain a safe lab environment
· Effectively communicate on DOE, results, document and present
As a team member at Sakuu, you'll enjoy:
• Comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance
• 2 weeks of paid time off
• Stock options
• Career development
• Company provided snacks and drinks
Qualifications and Skills
· Degree in materials science, chemical engineering, chemistry, or related fields (experience in the battery field required: 4+ years for BS degree, 2+ years for MS and 0+ years for Ph.D. will be considered for this position)
· Knowledge in design of lithium metal chemistry and surface design of anode for next generation battery
· Experience in material selection and synthesis, cell design, electrode fabrication, cell assembly, testing, QC and failure mode analysis.
· Experience in characterization techniques like SEM, EDS, XRD, XPS, TGA, DSC, DLS, etc.
· The candidate must have strong analytical and problem-solving skills and must be able to design and conduct complex experiments, employing DOE approach to interpret and correlate experimental results with battery product performance.
· Desire to learn new experimental and analytical techniques.
· Willingness to execute on multiple tasks in a fast-paced start-up environment
· Excellent oral and written communication skills and ability to work as a team player in a multi-functional environment.
Sakuu is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
$95,000 - $150,000 a year