Software Engineering Intern, TV Platform (Summer 2021)
San Francisco, CA /
Engineering – Internships /
US Intern / Fixed-Term
At Samba TV, we are on a mission to fundamentally change television viewing for everyone. We are doing this by leveraging our data to enable advertisers to engage and measure TV viewers across all their devices. We have an amazing story with a unique perspective formed by innovative technology.
We are hiring software engineering interns for Summer 2021 across our Core Technology organization! Our Interns will work and learn from Samba TV’s talented engineers and scientists solving some of the most complex problems, leveraging best-in-class technologies facing the AdTech and digital entertainment industries. During the twelve-week duration, the Intern will own a project from end-to-end, thinking through the requirements, design, implementation, deployment, and testing. The internship will conclude with a presentation at the Engineering All-Hands with leaders and executives from across the organization.
The TV Platform team is responsible for all the embedded software installed on Smart TVs running our core technology, Linux or Android-based TV. The embedded client developed by the TV Platform team performs Content-Identification (i.e., identifies which show/program a viewer is watching in real-time) and AI classification. We utilize e C++ (plus a Java layer for AndroidTV) technologies with emphasis on CPU and memory usage performance. Reporting to the Senior Director of Engineering, TV Platform, the team is composed of a savvy team of embedded engineers based in Taipei and in San Francisco, developing/porting/integrating the Samba Content-ID technologies into millions of Smart TVs around the world. The ideal candidate is someone who wants to know more about embedded technology.
What You'll Do
- Attend daily SCRUM meetings, planning, and retrospective meetings
- Work with internal stakeholders to define requirements, use models, and scope of the project
- Create a design document and present it to the team
- Evaluate new multimedia solutions for automation
- Evaluate the quality and performance of the system
- Develop unit tests and a new test framework to ensure high-quality products and solutions
What You Will Get
- Samba TV issued Laptop
- Access to the latest and greatest technology resources
- Opportunities to network with our amazing Engineering talent and leaders
- Compensation - All interns are paid $35/hr (non-negotiable)
What You’ll Need
- Be currently enrolled in a Bachelor’s, Master’s, or Ph.D. program in Computer Science (or related field) at an institution in the United States
- Ability to work Pacific Time working hours, West Coast preferred, Bay Area preferred
- Be a rising Junior or beyond at the time of the internship
- Be available for a 12-week internship between June and August 2021
- Proficient in one or more programming languages (Python, C++, Java, etc.)
- Strong analytical thinker with solid Computer Science fundamentals
- Innovative thinking, creative solutions to new issues
- Ability to think fast, move fast—the desire to learn
- Team player, but capable of independent work
- Please note that the majority of the internship will be remote, but may require some on-site visits to our headquarters in San Francisco. Please keep this in mind before you apply for the position.
What is "Nice to Have"
- Working knowledge of Linux
- Working knowledge of version control systems like git
- Interests in embedded systems (RaspberryPi, Andrino)
Help us transform the TV viewing experience for everyone!