Senior Data Engineer
Data – Data Engineer /
At Samba TV, we are on a mission to fundamentally change television viewing for everyone. We are doing this by leveraging our data to enable advertisers to engage and measure TV viewers across all their devices. We have an amazing story with a unique perspective formed by innovative technology.
At SambaTV, we deal with data at serious scale — on a continuous basis, we ingest, process, and make sense of incoming viewership data from millions of smart televisions, as well as value-enhancing data from our numerous partners.
The Core Data team is at the center of it all, acting as a bridge between our proprietary Automated Content Recognition (ACR) data and our product focussed teams. The team is responsible for architecting, implementing, and operating the batch and real-time data processing pipelines that make up our Viewership Data Platform (VDP), which normalizes our ACR data for widespread use. This platform ultimately powers our analytics and audience targeting products and services.
As a Data Engineer on this team, you will help architect, build, operate, and maintain VDP pipelines. As data is ultimately our business, you will not only work on our pipeline jobs, which process and deliver data at scale, but must truly get deep with that data. Thus, you will be working closely with our data science teams to extract the most value from our data, which is both rich and complex.
- Own major parts of our systems, including costs and vision for future development or evolution.
- Analyze and improve the efficiency, scalability, and stability of data collection, storage, and retrieval processes for our core systems.
- Work in collaboration with data scientists to develop new and improved algorithms and models that best capture the value of our data.
- Provide technical guidance and leadership to the team and play key roles in driving projects to successful completion.
- Promote great engineering practices and help improve our processes to facilitate building robust, large scale production systems.
- 4+ years of professional development experience building high-performance, large-scale applications/pipelines.
- Proven track record of production system ownership.
- Strong command of a programming language or two – while we work primarily in Python/PySpark, we acknowledge that engineers with sound fundamentals can pick up new languages relatively quickly. Excellent problem solving skills.
- Ability to interpret and analyze data is a must. Consequently, mathematical inclination is a major plus.
- Solid foundation in computer science, with strong competencies in data structures, algorithms and software design.
- Experience with Hadoop, Spark, or similar technologies is desirable.
- Experience operating production systems on AWS is also a plus.
Help us transform the TV viewing experience for everyone!