Art Director (VR)
Experiences – Art
Who are we?
We’re Sandbox VR, and we’re the most advanced virtual reality experience in the world. Inside our rooms, we take you on thrilling adventures and transform you into new characters. Our experience is like the movies, except you’re actually with your friends inside the movie.
Since we launched in Hong Kong in 2017, we’re now live in 6 locations and 4 countries around the world (we’re the #1 Activity in Hong Kong and Singapore on TripAdvisor), and we’re quickly expanding.
What will you be doing?
You will be responsible for the final visual output of each of our experiences. You’ll be working with a multidisciplinary team to deliver AAA art quality in the rapidly evolving medium of VR. Sound exciting? Read on!
Inspiration and Leadership – You are also responsible for the well-being of the art team, which means you will be consistently leading and inspiring the team and doing so with compassion. You will constantly provide constructive feedback to the art team and create solid examples/benchmarks for them to strive towards. You will also be responsible for helping to build a strong art team going forwards.
Artistic Vision – You think fine details are important, and you are involved in the art pipeline every step of the way. You care deeply about every aspect of the visuals including concept art, character designs, lighting, VFX storyboards, and textures - you support your team to create the very best outcome. It makes you extremely proud when you can evaluate a completed project and the result is unique and memorable visuals.
Collaboration – You love working with others to establish a game’s creative vision. You understand and embrace design constraints. You understand how to work with designers to establish a visual language and you believe wholeheartedly that the player experience is the top priority.
Who are we looking for:
- Creating Guidelines – You have a good eye for composition and visuals, and you have the ability to communicate your vision into an Art Bible/Art Guideline so your team understands that vision and can deliver a consistent and stunning Art Style across all artistic disciplines.
- Art Experience –We value experience a lot, but we will also consider candidates who are ready to step up and show us what they can do. You have at shipped at least 2 AAA titles or a wide range of high quality smaller products and you’ve got at least 5+ years of industry experience in an Art role.
- Hands-on Support – You are also someone who is happy to get hands-on and can help the team by taking on art tasks whenever this is needed.
- Solution Oriented – We place a great deal of importance in people who embrace new technology when creating each game. This means you understand technical constraints, but you are type of person who loves to find ways to make your game look amazing even if you have specific technical limitations.
How you can really impress us:
- You love a bit of razzle-dazzle and the chance to showcase your game and want to make unique and eye-popping trailers, posters, and videos for use in marketing.
- VR is an exciting new medium for you, you are passionate about the possibilities of the technology and you’re eager to use your skills to push this industry forward. You've attended/given talks at VR conferences or written articles about VR.
- If you’ve already had the chance to work on VR projects professionally or as a hobby, even better.
If you’re interested in this role, please apply here. We’d like to see at least a CV or LinkedIn, and a short cover letter/email/blurb on why you are the right fit for us.