Senior Software Engineer (Core VR)
Core Platform – Engineering
Who are we?
We’re Sandbox VR, and we’re the most advanced virtual reality experience in the world. Inside our rooms, we take you on thrilling adventures and transform you into new characters. Our experience is like the movies, except you’re actually with your friends inside the movie.
Our team is comprised of successful start-up veterans with deep experience in VR, gaming, technology and hospitality. We're funded by leading global tech investors including Andreessen Horowitz and Alibaba.
Since we launched in 2017, we’re now live in 6 locations and 4 countries around the world (4.5 stars on Yelp, and the #1 Activity in Hong Kong and Singapore on TripAdvisor), and we’re quickly expanding.
What will you be doing?
We're looking for someone to build software to improve our Core VR experience and development tooling. If you like VR, this is probably the most fun job you can imagine. In this role, you’ll be responsible for:
Developing our Core VR Platform: You'll be responsible for prototyping and implementing things like real time inverse kinematics, finger tracking, and wireless VR transmission to improve the fidelity and comfort of our core VR platform, in order to get it ever closer to the Holodeck.
Performance Optimization: You'll also be working on optimizing the performance of our experiences and reducing network latency, which are critical to giving our guests a deep sense of immersion in our platform.
Development Efficiency: Finally, you will work on building internal tools and development environments in order to optimize our development efficiency, especially for our content experience teams, who make the “movies” for our holodeck. You’ll also work on refactoring our system architecture to keep our platform readable, extensible and maintainable.
Who are we looking for?
- We're looking for someone who has at least 6 years of experience in software development in C++/C#, especially in multithreaded environments. You can work independently and own the entire software development lifecycle which include requirements gathering, architectural design, coding, testing and ultimately shipping a high quality product.
- Since we’re a small startup where everyone wears many hats, you’ll also help maintain our development environment, including our network & system performance. You‘ll directly provide input into our software, hardware and technology choices, and we’d love for you to share your experience and decisions with our team so we can all learn from them.
- We’re making the holodeck real at Sandbox VR. We expect this to be a very competitive market, which means we have to innovate as a team. You should be open to researching and solving completely new technology challenges nobody has solved before.
How can you really impress us?
- If you have deep knowledge in mathematics, algorithm or physics, we'd love to hear about that. To make the immersive experience, it requires strong science knowledge and programming implementation.
- If you’ve been a software team lead, we’d love to hear about your leadership philosophy and experience. We’re still early and it’s important that we acquire a strong engineering culture from our senior engineers as we grow our team.
- If you’ve worked in diverse markets and industries, and have worked in polyglot language environments where there isn’t just one programming language used across multiple services, we’d love to hear about that too. We’re going to have to work with a lot services from third parties in order to quickly evolve our platform.
- Outside of your job, it would be a huge plus if you’ve done engineering work with cutting edge technologies as a hobby, such as VR/AR/MR, robotics / drones, motion capture, or machine learning. We have plans to work with all of these technologies as we grow our holodeck platform.
How do I apply?
If you’re interested in this role, please apply here, or find some other way to get in touch if you’d really like to stand out. We’d like to see at least a CV or LinkedIn, and a quick cover letter/email/blurb on why you’re the right fit for us.