Senior Technical Artist (VR)
Experiences – Art
Who are we?
We’re Sandbox VR, and we’re the most advanced virtual reality experience in the world. Inside our rooms, we take you on thrilling adventures and transform you into new characters. Our experience is like the movies, except you’re actually with your friends inside the movie.
Since we launched in Hong Kong in 2017, we’re now live in 6 locations and 4 countries around the world (we’re the #1 Activity in Hong Kong and Singapore on TripAdvisor), and we’re quickly expanding.
What will you be doing?
You will be using your technical art experience to find ways to boost visual quality and improve performance. You will also make others around you better by establishing best practices and helping to increase the technical knowledge of the art team.
Owning Art Production Pipeline – Your main focus will be to bridge the technology gap between artists and programmers. You are responsible for the implementation of tools and processes which efficiently facilitate the creation and development of game assets along the entire pipeline. You also train other team members to use tools more effectively when required, and you love to help out others whenever you can.
Hands-on Expert – You will be hands-on, working to implement and execute the vision of the Art Director in a cost-effective and efficient way. You will be heavily involved in all areas of visual development and responsible for the outcome of the game’s performance (consistent FPS, etc.). Ideally, you are a jack of all trades; an artist in your own right, and a wizard with development applications.
Collaborative Problem Solving – You will collaborate with engineers to develop appropriate art pipelines, scripts, and plug-ins necessary to ensure high productivity of our designers, artists, animators, and riggers. This includes participation in pre-production planning and writing specification documents which outline the features required for game art formation. Where new systems must be built, you can contribute to visual prototyping of tools, as well as research and development with systems programmers.
Who are we looking for:
- Tools Pro – You strive to understand all the technical needs of the project and you can test the engine, request enhancements, verify all engine-related documents, and modify or draft new documents whenever necessary. You can develop or determine optimal tools and methods to enhance and facilitate the work of the art team.
- Problem Solver – You proactively foresee technological issues and needs before they occur. You provide constant technical support for tools and the engine, to every member on the art team. You are capable of supervising the design, integration, and validation of art data in the engine and you can fix issues as they arise.
- Tech Art Experience – You have a minimum of 7 years of professional experience in computer-generated art, including proficiency in lighting and VFX. You have an intimate knowledge of Unity , Maya, and any other tools that are required by the team. You have a solid understanding of 3D math and related concepts and you have shipped a minimum of 4 AAA titles from concept to final. Ideally, you have a bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Graphic Art, or a related field - But if you’re got equivalent experience, that’s great too!
How you can really impress us:
- You have a strong personal interest in video games technology. You understand industry trends and upcoming innovations. If you have given talks at games/VR industry shows or written articles about your craft, this is a great way you can demonstrate your understanding to us.
- VR is an exciting new medium for you, you are passionate about the possibilities of the technology and you’re eager to use your skills to push this industry forward. You've attended/given talks at VR conferences or written articles about VR.
- If you’ve already had the chance to work on VR projects professionally, or as a hobby, even better.
If you’re interested in this role, please apply here. We’d like to see at least a CV or LinkedIn, and a quick cover letter/email/blurb on why you’re the right fit for us.