HR Business Partner
Enterprise – People /
Work arrangement: Full-time permanent
Location: Hobart, Tasmania (onsite only, no remote arrangement available)
The hidden gem of Tasmania
Nestled in unassuming Hobart is an industry-leading creative product company competing on the World stage. Procreate, developed by Savage, has received a coveted Apple Design Award and been the number one best-selling paid iPad app on Apple's App Store for the past four years. Savage brings together a rare breed of people who are exceptionally driven and dedicated to helping people unleash their full artistic potential.
We stand by producing the highest quality of work and protecting creativity. We care about our work, our community, and most of all, each other. We’re looking for someone with the same level of care to support our people in making the best software experience in the world.
Your impact as our first HR Business Partner
Savage has just tipped over 50 employees, having doubled in size over the last 1.5 years. This is a critical phase where making the right operational decisions and laying solid foundations will set the business up for success. (Read: we're growing quickly with exciting greenfield challenges to tackle!)
Reporting to the Head of People, you will inform and support the implementation of operational and employee experience initiatives. This is an incredible opportunity to apply your seasoned experience in employee and industrial relations to shape how the business scales to achieve its ambitious growth plans.
Major areas you will support
- Employment and legislative compliance: responsible for ensuring that the company is compliant with Australian employment laws and legislation, reflected in our day to day operations and documentation such as contracts, policies and procedures, position descriptions and all forms of employee correspondence. Work with our external employment lawyers in resolving complex issues.
- Employee relations: be the first point of contact and support for employee wellbeing, engagement, development and conversations, both formal and informal. In extraordinary circumstances, carry out investigations, case management and performance management processes, resolve grievances, terminations and administrating fitness for work assessments. Understand and escalate instances which require the expertise of employment lawyers or Employee Assistance Programs (EAP) in resolving complex and sensitive issues.
- Systems and operational improvements. Your first major project would be to implement a HR system that would streamline how the business manages employee data and people operations. You will work closely with the Head of People in identifying and implementing company-wide processes and best practices that will help the business improve general productivity and efficiency.
- Augmenting general recruitment and people-related activities. Onboarding new hires and bringing them on the Savage growth journey. Proactively communicating Savage values and culture, ways of working and setting them up for success, especially in their first six months.
Our team is lean and highly collaborative. Expect to wear multiple hats and adapt to a rapidly-changing environment as the business grows.
Ideal candidate profile
- Significant and applied experience in employee and industrial relations. You have a deep understanding of employment law and legislative requirements, and are able to apply this knowledge in informing company policies and processes, as well as in resolving any employee conflicts.
- International experience and diversity of industry experience are highly valued. We have a culturally diverse team and see the value of HR from a non-traditional lens. We would love it if you are able to apply a broad overview of what works from different experiences to create an approach that would be uniquely Savage.
- You embody a high degree of empathy and logic. You are able to balance commercial business needs while elevating those around you. You pride yourself on being able to align employee goals with business goals, ensuring that every outcome is beneficial for both the business and employees.
- Your communication style and interpersonal skills are marked by empathy, inclusion and care. People feel comfortable sharing both casual and intimate conversations with you, genuinely feel cared for and trust that you will act with their best interests at heart. You are comfortable challenging stakeholders to think differently, while prioritising relationships and achieving the best outcome for the business.
- You approach and solve problems rationally and calmly. You put people at ease with your calm demeanour, troubleshoot problems rationally and are able to resolve them based on informed judgment. Ideally, “the buck stops with you” - you keep the executive leadership team informed of employee updates without needing their input on problem solving.
We can’t wait to hear from you!