Palo Alto, CA, USA
Research & Engineering
We are building the platform for intelligent computing. Our platform interfaces with both machines (software) and people (developers) to enable a new generation of goal-driven, context-adaptive, self-improving software applications.
As an Engineering Manager, you will serve your team as a leader, mentor, and manager. You will work to ensure the success and growth of your team as well as the people in it, technically and professionally, as individual contributors and as future leaders. You will lead the planning and execution of complex technical projects and work diligently to ensure their success. You will help establish and refine the core values and principles that ultimately drive the people in your team.
- BS in CS, EE, or related field.
- Experience (3+ years) managing a team of 15+ engineers.
- Experience (3+ years) as an individual contributor in relevant projects.
- Track record of leading a team to ship products or major features on schedule.
- Excellent written & verbal communication and collaboration skills.
- Ability to adapt to the diverse and evolving needs of the people and the company.
- Ability to make steady progress while continuously clarifying goals and requirements.
Plusses (not exhaustive)
- PhD in CS (AI/ML), Statistics, EE, or similar field.
- Experience building and managing teams in early-stage startups.
- Experience building optimization, inference, or machine learning systems.
- Strong record of relevant publications in top journals or conferences.
- Proficiency with a prototyping environment (e.g. Mathematica, Matlab, iPython, etc).Proficiency with probabilistic graphical models and basic inference algorithms.
- Experience working with a diverse range of data sets and domains.Strong coding and software engineering skills.
- Spend 100% of your time working on a problem with virtually unlimited potential impact.
- Generous salary, equity, and benefits well above industry norms, including unlimited PTO.
- Flexible hours and family-friendly culture that values sustained productivity and happiness.
- Amazing office in historic downtown Palo Alto.
- Be reliable. Respect and manage expectations.
- Prefer to underpromise and overdeliver. If you must disappoint (e.g. miss an ETA or deadline), never do it silently.
- Show that you care. Show strong bias for action. Get it working first, then iterate relentlessly for quality. If time is running short, cut scope, not quality. Work smarter, not just harder.
- Seek truth and clarity on the why, the what, and the how, always in that order.
- Always be nice. Show empathy and patience, not ego or arrogance. Listen with care and respect.
- Assume the best intentions. We are all flawed, and we are all in this together.
- Remember to have fun. Never give in to stress. Always seek happiness and fulfillment.