Palo Alto, CA, USA
Research & Engineering
We are building the platform for intelligent computing. Our platform interfaces with both machines (software) and people (developers) to enable a new generation of goal-driven, context-adaptive, self-improving software applications.
As an Inference Scientist, you will help establish and continuously expand the rigorous statistical foundations, fundamental capabilities and applications of our platform. You will help design and implement new data structures, model families, inference algorithms, simulations, experiments, or prototypes that help guide both product and engineering efforts.
- PhD in CS (AI/ML), Statistics, or similar field.
- Proficiency with probabilistic graphical models and basic inference algorithms.
- Proficiency with at least one programming language.
- Proficiency with a prototyping environment (e.g. Mathematica, Matlab, iPython, etc).
- Excellent written & verbal communication and collaboration skills.
Pluses (not exhaustive):
- Familiarity with bayesian modeling concepts (conjugate priors, exponential families, etc).
- Familiarity with advanced approximate inference algorithms (e.g. variational inference).
- Experience implementing optimization, inference, or machine learning algorithms.
- Experience working with a diverse range of data sets and domains.
- Spend 100% of your time working on a problem with virtually unlimited potential impact.
- Generous salary, equity, and benefits well above industry norms, including unlimited PTO.
- Flexible hours and family-friendly culture that values sustained productivity and happiness.
- Amazing office in historic downtown Palo Alto.
- Be reliable. Respect and manage expectations.
- Prefer to underpromise and overdeliver. If you must disappoint (e.g. miss an ETA or deadline), never do it silently.
- Show that you care. Show strong bias for action. Get it working first, then iterate relentlessly for quality. If time is running short, cut scope, not quality. Work smarter, not just harder.
- Seek truth and clarity on the why, the what, and the how, always in that order.
- Always be nice. Show empathy and patience, not ego or arrogance. Listen with care and respect.
- Assume the best intentions. We are all flawed, and we are all in this together.
- Remember to have fun. Never give in to stress. Always seek happiness and fulfillment.