Engineering Manager (Flex/Remote)
Products Engineering – Paas /
Full-time (long term)
Our mission 🚀
Founded in 1999, Scaleway, the cloud of choice, helps developers and businesses to build, deploy and scale applications to any infrastructure. Located in Paris, Amsterdam and Warsaw, Scaleway’s complete cloud ecosystem is used by 25,000+ businesses, including European startups, who choose Scaleway for its multi-AZ redundancy, smooth developer experience, carbon-neutral data centers and native tools for managing multi-cloud architectures. With fully managed offerings for bare metal, containerization and serverless architectures, Scaleway brings choice to the world of cloud computing, offering customers the ability to choose where their customer’s data resides, to choose what architecture works best for their business, and to choose a more responsible way to scale.
Our journey 💡
We want all our actions and decisions to bring us closer to achieving our vision: building and scaling technologies that make sense to us, to our customers and their end users. Scaleway is the challenger nobody’s expecting.As our business scales, the customers and developers we serve are increasingly diverse and global. Giving them an unbeatable experience is central to our business strategy and value proposition. To better understand them, we've discovered that the best way to deliver the highest value and performance is by incorporating a well-rounded team that leverages diverse perspectives, knowledge, skills, and cross-cultural understanding.
Our values 💜
Singularity: We do it our own way.
Community: One company, one culture
Adventure: Level up if you dare, never stop innovating.
Leadership: Be the leader you want to follow.
Excellence: We want to be customers' first choice as a cloud provider.
Rock Solid: You can always count on us!
About the Job
Engineering Manager are keys at Scaleway. They create the conditions for engineering teams to focus on creating a cloud that makes sense. At Scaleway, we are constantly searching for engineering management talents. If you are not sure which team would fit your profile, this is where you should apply and we will come back to you.
As an Engineering Manager, you will manage both your team of engineers, and the general engineering for the team. This position is equally balanced between managerial and technical roles and skills. All teams work with Agile methods, and often with Scrum. You will monitor collaborative projects via these platforms.
As a manager, you will take care of your team. You will be in charge of administrative tasks like planning, approving vacations requests, and more. An important part of the position is to improve the skills and knowledge of each member of your team by getting to know them well (strengths, limitations and goals). Together, you will find the most efficient way of working as a team. You will also be responsible for monitoring and optimizing the velocity and delivery capacity of your team with the help of your Product Manager.
Your goal as an EM will be to speak to the other teams and their managers to carry out your technical tasks, for instance by requesting what your team needs for its products. You need to be aware of the internals of database servers. Your team’s main programming language are Python & Golang. As an Engineering Manager you will also code, handle customer escalations from our support team, and manage the infrastructure required by the product (software upgrade & reliability).
One of your key responsibilities will be to avoid over-engineering, and always find a pragmatic approach when a technical problem arises. You won’t be a cloud user, you will be a cloud builder.
You will also be the facilitator of the team, providing them with everything they need to focus on their tasks, by synchronizing with the other managers of the company.
- Embody the activities of Engineering within the company, and within your team
- Hire, manage, support and develop a team of up to four engineers (career path, salary and compensation, personal knowledge and skills improvement)
- Build innovative features for our products on the latest technologies with the help of your team
- Coordinate the team, monitor the progression of ongoing projects, organize the team’s work and sprints through rituals
- Make suggestions to balance the team's workload between technical debt management, rollouts, and new projects
- Strong collaboration with our Product Managers & Marketing teams in order to help the team to do the “right” things (the “why”, then the “what” and finally the “how”)
- Be a messenger, both up & downstream to help the team be aligned with the company objectives and make sure that the team’s voice is heard
- Monitor and optimize team velocity and its capacity to deliver quality products and services on time
- Ease collaboration with other Engineering teams
- Work closely with our local Architect to deploy internal stacks within your products and guarantee that global engineering initiatives are used within your product process and stack
- Stay grounded by coding as a “doer” with your team.
- Work on transversal initiatives within Scaleway’s Engineering Manager Guild
- Open minded and ready to adapt quickly
- Demonstrate strong empathy
- Result-oriented attitude
- Clear communication
- DevOps mindset
- Agile methods
- Databases : PostgreSQL, MySQL
- Cloud environment
- Python / GoLang
- DCS Systems (consul, etcd)
- Container Technologies
- Linux System & Network knowledge
- Gitlab, CI-CD
- Micro-Services architectures
- Jira, Confluence, Slack
- Bonus: solid knowledge of cloud providers (AWS, Azure, Alicloud or GCP)
This position can be either:
- Based in our offices in Paris or Lille, partial/full remote is possible (France)
- Full remote in Europe
70,000 - 96,000+ EUR per year
On average our process lasts 2-3 weeks days and offers usually follow within 48 hours 🤞
Important note: if you don't see yourself ticking all the boxes don't hesitate to apply anyway. Don't limit yourself to a job description, you never know!
To learn more about us 🌐Scaleway website | Scaleway’s blog| Scaleway on Twitter