Lead Matte Painter
Generalist – Matte /
Fixed term /
Reporting to the Environment Supervisor, the Lead Matte Painter creates photorealistic 2D and 3D matte paintings of subject matter to be used as an element to either embellish or replace live-action footage in feature films.
- Creates photorealistic paintings and elements that match concept and style using 2D and 3D tools and techniques including camera setup, modeling for projection, camera animation, projection setup, image re-projection, and atmospherics/ light passes
- Provides or acquires photographic reference materials
- Combines photographic, paint, and 3d assets to conceptualize, create and design environments using techniques such as camera animation, image projection, layering, and lighting
- Performs tasks related to integrating imagery into shots, preserving a unified sense of lighting, perspective, and color
- Combines painting skills in animation software, with a knowledge of photography, practical and digital modeling, and design, to create 2D and 3D paintings
- Works closely with the Department Supervisor, VFX Supervisors, and CG Supervisors to determine the best methods to complete work in a timely manner and ensures that plates meet planned concept design requirements
- Minimum five (5) years of experience as a DMP artist for live-action (realistic) feature films required
- Expert knowledge of Photoshop, Maya, and Nuke required
- Knowledge of other tools such as Mari, Max, Houdini, Forest Pack, Speed Tree, Terragen, Clarisse, and Substance (a plus)
- Experience and/or working knowledge of modeling, texturing, composting (preferred)
- Advanced knowledge of DMP techniques and/or technical experience in photography/lighting with an emphasis on color and composition; traditional art background a plus
- The ideal candidate must be able to multitask, be self-motivated, proactive, and manage all aspects on an environment and sequence level
- Responsive to guidance and review notes from creative and technical leadership – able to apply feedback to achieve the required look
- Team player and able to work independently with minimal supervision
- Strong troubleshooting/ problem-solving skills
Scanline VFX is an award-winning leader in the visual effects industry with 7 studios worldwide, including London, Los Angeles, Montreal, Munich, Seoul, Stuttgart, and Vancouver. Since our beginning in 1989, we strive to set the highest standard of quality in everything we do. Through innovation, we generate solutions for our clients and raise the bar — both within our workplace and throughout our industry.
We look for explorers, people who are willing to go to new places and are open to testing, learning and iterating as they go. We believe great ideas come from everyone, so we actively encourage team members to ask questions and present their ideas.
Eyeline Studios, our virtual production division, is rethinking the future of real-time filmmaking by providing content creators with unmatched flexibility. Learn more.
Powered by Netflix
Netflix’s investment in our pipeline, infrastructure, and workforce allows us to continue to push the boundaries of what is possible in visual effects. In addition to working on projects for Netflix, we continue to work with a variety of long-standing and new clients.
Come as you are
We are committed to ensuring fair and equal treatment of your application. When you apply for a role with us, you will receive consideration based solely on your qualifications.
We will only consider applicants based in British Columbia, or those willing to relocate.