Layout Artist | Artiste Layout
3D – Layout /
Contract - Artist
Scanline VFX is a leading visual effects company with studios in Vancouver, Montreal, Los Angeles, London, Seoul, Munich, and Stuttgart.
Join our award-winning studio located in historical Montreal and be challenged to do the best work of your career alongside some of the best talent from around the world.
Due to Covid, Scanline VFX is operating remotely until further notice. All open opportunities are WFH unless otherwise indicated.
Scanline VFX est une compagnie d`effets visuels renommée ayant des studios à Vancouver, Montréal, Los Angeles, Londres, Séoul, Munich, et Stuttgart.
Joignez-vous à notre studio primé au coeur de Montréal et vous serez appelé à vous surpasser afin d`atteindre de nouveaux sommets dans votre carrière.
En raison du Covid, tous les postes affichés sont pour le travail à distance, sauf indication contraire.
The Layout Artist is responsible for the story-telling, shot sequence continuity and presentation as part of the VFX pipeline for Feature Film and/or TV. Utilizing Assets from Modelling department and/or Camera Track (if Plate-based) from Matchmove department, Layout creates essentially a rough pass of the shot as a whole as well as packaging necessary components for use in later departments. While camera animation and composition is the main objective, a Layout artist may be required to create simple animation, lighting and FX in order to convey key story points.
- Create visually striking composition based on shot description and/or storyboard
- Match references such as Previs and/or images if provided
- Supplement shots with simple but convincing animation, lighting and FX to aid story-telling
- Stitch Plate-based shots into a Full CG environment and vice versa
- Assemble the correct combination of Assets in a shot for use in downstream departments
- Include proof of scale and continuity in a virtual layout set up
- Debug technical problems and escalate issues as needed
- Take directions and apply notes from supervisors
- Duties and tasks as assigned
QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS
- 3-5 years or more Layout experience for Film or TV (required)
- Bachelor's degree or Diploma in the field of Arts, Film and/or Animation (preferred)
- Advanced software skills in Maya (required)
- Basic to Intermediate skills in 3DS Max, Photoshop, Shotgun, Nuke and Scripting (preferred)
- Extensive skill set in camera animation, staging and set dressing
- Great sense of presentation via lighting, texturing and/or FX
- Solid animation grounding for story-telling purposes
- Background or experience in traditional Fine Arts - demonstrating thorough understanding of framing and composition
- Passion for film and a love of film making is paramount
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills; a team player with great attitude
- Close attention to detail with excellent and consistent quality assurance
- Strong troubleshooting and problem solving ability
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
We offer extended medical, disability and dental insurance.
Please only apply once. We keep your application details on file for both current and future job opportunities. If you are applying to more than one position, use the same email address on all applications. Only re-apply if
your details have recently changed.
Nous offrons des assurances complémentaires santé.
Veuillez ne postuler qu'une seule fois. Nous gardons les détails de votre candidature et vous contacterons pour toutes opportunités courantes et/ou futures. Si vous souhaitez postuler pour plus d'un rôle, utilisez la même adresse courriel. Postulez de nouveau uniquement si vos détails ont récemment changé.