Lead FX Artist
Simulations – FX /
Fixed term /
Reporting to the FX Supervisor, the Lead FX Artist creates high-caliber dynamic and riveting visual 3D effects. They troubleshoot and solve technical and artistic issues to meet client requirements and production deadlines.
- Creates a wide variety of realistic effects, including but not limited to destruction, smoke, fire, and water
- Works under the guidance of multiple supervisors to achieve the desired level of aesthetic quality and technical accuracy, often exploring different approaches and looks
- Revises simulations based on client and supervisor feedback in a timely manner
- Coordinates with the lighting department to ensure seamless integration of FX elements
- Works within the established pipeline and offer constructive suggestions to improve the process
- Helps develop and explore new ways to enhance results
- Helps team debug issues and learn new methods
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
- Previous experience in live action visual effects for feature films or high level television
- Creative ability and artistic talent, demonstrated by previous work
- Knowledge of Houdini and/or 3ds Max (required)
- Strong experience in creating a wide variety of simulations (destruction, atmospheric, fluid, supernatural, etc.)
- Understanding of physics, realistic motion, and assorted natural phenomena on different scales
- Exceptional technical skills, the ability to learn new software quickly, and a keenness to stay on the leading edge
- Strong willingness to grow, learn new methods and share knowledge with others
- Ability to work and solve technical issues independently
- Ability to take direction positively, work well within a team and thrives under the pressure of tight deadlines
- Excellent communication skills and an open mind
- Team player able to work in a collaborative and fast-paced environment
- Compositing and scripting experience is a plus
- Flowline experience is highly desirable
BONUS SOFTWARE KNOWLEDGE
- Thinking Particle
Scanline VFX is an award-winning leader in the visual effects industry with 7 studios worldwide, including London, Los Angeles, Montreal, Munich, Seoul, Stuttgart, and Vancouver. Since our beginning in 1989, we strive to set the highest standard of quality in everything we do. Through innovation, we generate solutions for our clients and raise the bar — both within our workplace and throughout our industry.
We look for explorers, people who are willing to go to new places and are open to testing, learning and iterating as they go. We believe great ideas come from everyone, so we actively encourage team members to ask questions and present their ideas.
Eyeline Studios, our virtual production division, is rethinking the future of real-time filmmaking by providing content creators with unmatched flexibility. Learn more.
Powered by Netflix
Netflix’s investment in our pipeline, infrastructure, and workforce allows us to continue to push the boundaries of what is possible in visual effects. In addition to working on projects for Netflix, we continue to work with a variety of long-standing and new clients.
Come as you are
We are committed to ensuring fair and equal treatment of your application. When you apply for a role with us, you will receive consideration based solely on your qualifications.
We will only consider applicants based in British Columbia, or those willing to relocate.