Software Engineer - Privacy Engineering
Location: Oslo (with opportunities to travel to London, Paris, Stockholm, Barcelona)
We’re reinventing ourselves. We’re completely rethinking our publishing products and global components in order to better engage with our users and provide amazing experiences across different Schibsted applications and across any device. We have access to the biggest and best brands in publishing in Scandinavia, a dynamic user base that numbers in the millions, and the freedom to break away from any and all technical legacy. There’s a blank page in front of us. We want you to come help us fill it.
Users are expecting more personalized services and we need to collect users data in order to provide those services, and we need to do this in a way that the user is in control. In order to accelerate and pave the way for new privacy functionality we are building a set of privacy enhancing technologies (PETs). We aim to build these technologies in conjunction with our privacy goal of maximizing the information utility while minimizing the privacy risks and being compliant with data protection laws.
Schibsted Media Group is an international media group with 6800 employees in 31 countries. From Mexico to Malaysia, from Brazil to Norway – millions of people interact with Schibsted companies every day. We ensure that new and old sofas can be sold. News reports are read and watched when, where and how consumers want. Weather reports are checked with quick online services. Carpenters are found through a couple of clicks. Prices are compared and the latest fashion is browsed. These examples are just some of the ways our services empower people all around the world in their daily lives. Schibsted Products & Technology is a brand new technology start-up within Schibsted, with offices in London, Stockholm, Barcelona and Oslo. Our philosophy is built on keeping an open mind, challenging ourselves and the status quo. The goal is to shape the future of our industry. To achieve this we recruit attitude in addition to technical skills.
In terms of way of working, we have full freedom. We use best-of-breed products like GitHub, Slack and AWS and have access to whatever hardware is needed to get the job done. The expectations for what we’re trying to deliver are extremely high, and we’re able to pick the best tools for the job to deliver on those expectations.We provide an attractive package and relocation assistance for people looking to move to Oslo. There will be opportunities to travel to other Schibsted locations.
What will you do:
- Collaborate with other engineers, UX, product management, legal and other teams to find the best solutions.
- Design and develop advanced and new privacy enhancing technologies/services.
- Build large-scale automation of privacy processes.
- Design, develop, test, deploy, maintain and improve software.
- Manage individual project priorities, deadlines and deliverables.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or Engineering or equivalent practical experience.
- Experience tracking and translating engineering discussions into actionable engineering tasks and next steps.
- Master’s, PhD degree, further education or experience in engineering, computer science or other technical related field.
- Background in privacy and security related issues.
- Background with algorithms and datastructures.
- Background in designing, building and operating large scale distributed systems.
- Exceptional collaboration, communication and problem-solving skills.
- Interest and ability to learn other coding languages as needed.