Associate Scientist, Antibody Characterization
Cambridge, MA /
Protein Sciences and Antibody Engineering /
Scholar Rock is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company creating a robust pipeline of therapeutics with the potential to transform the lives of patients suffering from serious diseases, including neuromuscular disorders, cancer, fibrosis, and anemia. Our proprietary platform is rooted in our structural biology insights into the activation of latent growth factor precursors and drives the discovery and development of monoclonal antibodies that locally and selectively target these signaling proteins at the cellular level. By exploiting structural differences in the precursor, or latent forms of growth factors, Scholar Rock intends to avoid the historical dose-limiting safety challenges associated with inhibiting the mature form of growth factors for therapeutic effect.
Our first product candidate, SRK-015, is a highly specific inhibitor of the activation of latent myostatin, being evaluated in our TOPAZ Phase 2 proof-of-concept trial for the treatment of patients with Type 2 and Type 3 Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA). A pre-planned six month interim analysis of the TOPAZ trial was conducted and positive results were reported in October 2020. Treatment with SRK-015 led to improvements in Hammersmith scale scores (primary efficacy endpoint that measures motor function) in all three evaluated cohorts of patients and no safety signals were identified from the interim analysis. Top-line data for the full 12-month treatment period are anticipated in the second quarter of 2021. SRK-015 has been granted Orphan Drug Designation and Rare Pediatric Disease Designation by the US FDA and Orphan Medicinal Product Designation by the European Commission for the treatment of SMA.
Our second product candidate, SRK-181, is a potent and highly selective inhibitor of latent TGFβ1 activation. An ongoing DRAGON Phase 1 proof-of-concept trial is evaluating SRK-181 in patients with locally advanced or metastatic solid tumors. An update on dose escalation is expected in 4Q20 with clinical response and safety data anticipated in 2H21. We believe SRK-181 has the potential to meaningfully increase the number of patients who can benefit from checkpoint inhibitor therapy by overcoming primary resistance to anti-PD-(L)1 antibodies.
Summary of Position:
The Antibody Discovery & Engineering group at Scholar Rock is developing best-in-class antibody therapeutics to help patients with unmet medical needs. We are seeking an outstanding individual to support the discovery and characterization of antibodies to enable the lead selection for multiple therapeutic programs. The successful candidate will work with the phage display and hybridoma teams to establish and execute biophysical and bioanalytical assays for comprehensive characterization of antibodies. The person in this role will have the opportunity to learn various aspects of biotherapeutic drug development in a fast-paced matrixed environment.
- Characterize the binding properties of antibodies by ELISA, flow cytometry, and kinetics tools
- Perform stability and pre-formulation studies on antibodies to assess their “drug-like” qualities
- Maintain detailed records of experimental protocols and data in laboratory notebooks in accordance with company policy
- Work with functional group and project teams to manage and prioritize antibody characterization experiments
- Analyze, interpret, and report experimental results to the relevant functional and project teams
- BS or MS in molecular biology, biochemistry, biophysics, or related field with 1-3 years of laboratory experience.
- Hands-on experience in antibody screening required
- Experience with flow cytometry, ELISA, SPR (Biacore), or BLI (Octet) preferred
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to function in a timeline-driven, dynamic environment, and to adapt to new techniques and protocols
- Flexibility to work in a matrix-managed research organization
- Strong work ethics and high-level of motivation are required
Scholar Rock is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.