Scientist / Sr. Scientist - High Throughput Expression & Purification
Cambridge, MA /
Protein Sciences and Antibody Engineering /
Scholar Rock is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company creating a robust pipeline of therapeutics with the potential to transform the lives of patients suffering from serious diseases, including neuromuscular disorders, cancer, fibrosis, and anemia. Our proprietary platform is rooted in our structural biology insights into the activation of latent growth factor precursors and drives the discovery and development of monoclonal antibodies that locally and selectively target these signaling proteins at the cellular level. By exploiting structural differences in the precursor, or latent form of growth factors, Scholar Rock intends to avoid the historical dose-limiting safety challenges associated with inhibiting the mature form of growth factors for therapeutic effect.
Our lead product candidate, SRK-015, is a highly specific inhibitor of myostatin activation currently being evaluated in a Phase 2 proof-of-concept trial for the treatment of patients with Type 2 and Type 3 Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA). SRK-015 has received Orphan Drug Designation in both the US and EU.
Our second product candidate, SRK-181, is a potent and highly selective inhibitor of latent TGFβ1 activation. A Phase 1 proof-of-concept trial was initiated in April 2020 in patients with solid tumors. We believe SRK-181 has the potential to meaningfully increase the number of patients who can benefit from checkpoint inhibitor therapy by overcoming primary resistance to anti-PD-(L)1 antibodies.
Summary of Position:
At Scholar Rock, we strive to develop best-in-class antibody-based therapeutics across multiple disease areas. To achieve this, we are expanding our antibody discovery capabilities by establishing state of the art in vivo and phage display based antibody discovery, engineering, and biophysical characterization platforms within the Antibody Discovery and Engineering group. We are seeking an outstanding and highly motivated scientist with experience in high-throughput antibody production and purification to join our team. This person will play a leading role in establishing a high-throughput expression & purification platform at Scholar Rock. The person will manage protein expression & purification of hundreds of candidate antibodies identified using hybridomaor phage display platforms and help characterize antibodies to ensure fidelity and quality of material. The position will require the person to work closely with the antibody generation teams and the biology/assay groups to ensure timely and efficient expression and characterization of the molecules to help lead candidate selection. This position provides an opportunity to learn cutting-edge antibody drug discovery platforms, exposure to the biology across multiple disease areas with unmet needs, and to be a part of a high-functioning inter-disciplinary drug development team.
- Establish a robust high-throughput antibody expression and purification platform.
- Lead small scale robotic purification of antibodies using affinity chromatographic techniques (Protein A, Protein G, MabSelect etc.). Perform characterization for of therapeutic candidates using bioanalytical techniques such as capillary electrophoresis, Size Exclusion Chromatography etc., to ensure fidelity of material
- Using basic microbiology & molecular biology procedures (DNA transformation, bacterial culture, DNA purification, gene cloning etc.), contribute to DNA sample preparation for sequencing reaction and sequence analysis.
- Responsible for high-throughput mammalian cell transfection and expression of antibodies
- Develop and manage sample request database.
- Represent the Antibody Discovery & High Throughput Expression group at project team meetings, present data and plan resource needs.
- B.S with 8+yrs of experience or M.S./Ph.D.in Biochemistry, Biology, Biotechnology, Chemical Engineering or Molecular & Cell biology with at least 5+ years of research experience, of which 3+ years include pharmaceutical industry experience
- At least 3+ years of experience in protein expression and purification
- Experience with automated small-scale protein purification technologies including high pressure liquid chromatography (HPLC) systems
- Experience with liquid handling equipment (eg. Tecan, Biomek) including method development, operation and maintenance.
- Experience with mammalian cell culture and molecular biology techniques
- Experience with basic protein characterization (SDS-PAGE gels, capillary electrophoresis systems, ELISA, Octet etc)
- Ability to work independently and to prioritize and manage multiple projects and activities.
- Strong communication skills. Comfortable presenting data at multiple project team and company-wide
Scholar Rock is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.