Senior Associate Scientist (multiple openings)
Cambridge, MA /
Protein Sciences and Antibody Engineering /
Scholar Rock is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company creating a robust pipeline of therapeutics with the potential to transform the lives of patients suffering from serious diseases, including neuromuscular disorders, cancer, fibrosis, and anemia. Our proprietary platform is rooted in our structural biology insights into the activation of latent growth factor precursors and drives the discovery and development of monoclonal antibodies that locally and selectively target these signaling proteins at the cellular level. By exploiting structural differences in the precursor, or latent form of growth factors, Scholar Rock intends to avoid the historical dose-limiting safety challenges associated with inhibiting the mature form of growth factors for therapeutic effect.
Our lead product candidate, SRK-015, is a highly specific inhibitor of myostatin activation currently being evaluated in a Phase 2 proof-of-concept trial for the treatment of patients with Type 2 and Type 3 Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA). SRK-015 has received Orphan Drug Designation in both the US and EU.
Our second product candidate, SRK-181, is a potent and highly selective inhibitor of latent TGFβ1 activation. A Phase 1 proof-of-concept trial will be initiated in Q1 2020 in patients with solid tumors. We believe SRK-181 has the potential to meaningfully increase the number of patients who can benefit from checkpoint inhibitor therapy by overcoming primary resistance to anti-PD-(L)1 antibodies.
Summary of Position:
We are leveraging our deep structural and mechanistic understanding of well-characterized as well as novel targets to develop best-in-class antibody-based therapeutics across multiple disease areas. We are expanding our antibody discovery capabilities by establishing state of the art phage display and lead-optimization platforms. We are seeking outstanding and highly motivated scientists with high-throughput antibody screening and molecular biology experience to join our Antibody Discovery and Engineering team. This person will play a hands-on role in generation, panning and screening of phage display libraries and the biophysical characterization of potential drug candidates. This position provides an opportunity to learn cutting-edge drug discovery technologies, exposure to the biology across multiple disease areas with unmet needs, and to be a part of a high-functioning inter-disciplinary drug development team.
- Conduct antibody phage display selections against targets of therapeutic interest
- Bacterial expression and high throughput screening of phage-selected antibody fragments for a range of characteristics, including antigen binding, species cross-reactivity, and V-Gene sequence
- Characterize biochemical and biophysical properties of antibodies and antibody fragments
- Manage antibody screening experiments, including sample preparation, clone tracking, binding assays, and DNA sequence analysis
- Analyze, collate and present antibody characterization data to facilitate antibody lead selection
- Conduct molecular biology activities involved in antibody re-formatting from fragments to full IgG
- Collaborate with project teams to ensure timely progress in research projects
- BA/BS or MS in Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, or related life science field with 2+ years of relevant industry experience
- Experience with high-throughput antibody binding screens, molecular biology and antibody sequence analysis is required
- Experience with phage display or related antibody library selection technique is required
- Experience in bacterial/mammalian protein expression and purification is preferred
- Must be highly self-motivated, detail-oriented and well organized and have strong work ethics
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects and activities
- Maintain excellent working relationships with colleagues, collaborators, and CROs
- Have flexibility and the ability to work in a matrix-managed research environment
Scholar Rock is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.