Patent Counsel / Senior Patent Counsel
Scholar Rock is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company creating a robust pipeline of therapeutics with the potential to transform the lives of patients suffering from serious diseases, including neuromuscular disorders, cancer, fibrosis, and anemia. Our proprietary platform is rooted in our structural biology insights into the activation of latent growth factor precursors and drives the discovery and development of monoclonal antibodies that locally and selectively target these signaling proteins at the cellular level. By exploiting structural differences in the precursor, or latent form of growth factors, Scholar Rock intends to avoid the historical dose-limiting safety challenges associated with inhibiting the mature form of growth factors for therapeutic effect.
Our lead product candidate, SRK-015, is a highly specific inhibitor of myostatin activation currently being evaluated in a Phase 2 proof-of-concept trial for the treatment of patients with Type 2 and Type 3 Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA). SRK-015 has received Orphan Drug Designation in both the US and EU.
Our second product candidate, SRK-181, is a potent and highly selective inhibitor of latent TGFβ1 activation. A Phase 1 proof-of-concept trial will be initiated in Q1 2020 in patients with solid tumors. We believe SRK-181 has the potential to meaningfully increase the number of patients who can benefit from checkpoint inhibitor therapy by overcoming primary resistance to anti-PD-(L)1 antibodies.
Summary of Position:
We are seeking a passionate IP Attorney who will report to our Head of Intellectual Property. This Senior Patent Counsel will work closely with internal stakeholders to ensure protection of valuable IP assets in a multi-functional, fast-paced environment. We seek a highly motivated, skilled individual with commitment to excellence, integrity, and passion for making a difference in patients’ lives. Director-level placement is considered for candidates with particularly relevant expertise.
- Manage Scholar Rock’s patent portfolio, including preparing US and foreign patent filings and responses to official actions.
- Manage and serve as a liaison with outside counsel.
- Interact with external stakeholders (e.g., collaborators and licensors).
- Work with scientific and clinical teams as well as other functions to understand new developments, and design and implement prosecution strategies to ensure the necessary protection of IP assets and alignment to business goals.
- Conduct freedom-to-operate analyses as needed.
- Review technical manuscripts, posters and other materials intended for publication and draft patent applications in response as needed.
- Review and evaluate the commercial and technical activities of third parties.
- 7+ years of experience in patent prosecution and IP due diligence and related work in life sciences, of which at least 5+ years spent at a reputable law firm with highly regarded life sciences practice. Prior in-house experience required.
- Ph.D in biomedical research field strongly preferred (e.g., molecular/cellular biology, immunology, biochemistry, neurobiology, etc.). Master’s degree (MS) will be considered for candidates with particularly extensive experience and relevant background.
- Registered to practice before the USPTO with a J.D. degree and admitted with good standing to at least one state bar (for US attorney); or, qualified as Chartered Patent Attorney and/or European Patent Attorney (for EP attorney).
- Experience in post-grant proceedings and/or litigation preferred.
- Experience with transactional matters, including agreement drafting and contract negotiation.
- Ability to learn and handle IP-related matters involving a wide variety of therapeutic/diagnostic modalities and disease areas.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task, problem-solve and operate in a fast paced environment, particularly the ability to process complex sets of information and to effectively respond to rapidly changing priorities and deadlines.
- Excellent analytical and communication skills.
- Strong professionalism and interpersonal skills.
- Commitment to accountability, reliability and responsiveness to successfully engage with a cross-functional team.
Scholar Rock is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.