Laboratory Operations Technician
Cambridge, MA /
Scholar Rock is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company creating a robust pipeline of therapeutics with the potential to transform the lives of patients suffering from serious diseases, including neuromuscular disorders, cancer, fibrosis, and anemia. Our proprietary platform is rooted in our structural biology insights into the activation of latent growth factor precursors and drives the discovery and development of monoclonal antibodies that locally and selectively target these signaling proteins at the cellular level. By exploiting structural differences in the precursor, or latent form of growth factors, Scholar Rock intends to avoid the historical dose-limiting safety challenges associated with inhibiting the mature form of growth factors for therapeutic effect.
Our lead product candidate, SRK-015, is a highly specific inhibitor of myostatin activation currently being evaluated in a Phase 2 proof-of-concept trial for the treatment of patients with Type 2 and Type 3 Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA). SRK-015 has received Orphan Drug Designation in both the US and EU.
Our second product candidate, SRK-181, is a potent and highly selective inhibitor of latent TGFβ1 activation. A Phase 1 proof-of-concept trial was initiated in April 2020 in patients with solid tumors. We believe SRK-181 has the potential to meaningfully increase the number of patients who can benefit from checkpoint inhibitor therapy by overcoming primary resistance to anti-PD-(L)1 antibodies.
Summary of Position:
This position is responsible for a variety of tasks supporting the daily operation of Scholar Rock laboratories and lab support functions. Lab cleanliness, organization, and safety are vital for successful lab operations. The Lab Operations Technician will work closely with the scientists to make sure that daily operations run smoothly. Responsibilities will include regular ordering, inventory, and stocking of lab equipment, consumables, and reagents. Duties will also include small equipment operation, maintenance, and repair. This role is responsible for the shipping and receiving for domestic shipments of lab materials, including the preparation of material for shipment. The Lab Operations Technician is responsible for the physical and administrative tasks involved in the shipping, receiving, storing and distributing of materials, parts, supplies and equipment. They will unpack, and check goods received against purchase orders, maintain records of received goods and rejects unsatisfactory items, as necessary. This job requires the occasional (infrequent) lifting of heavy items (up to 50 lbs.) and may operate a forklift, pallet jack or other material handling equipment. The ideal candidate will have a keen attention to detail and a sense of urgency as we are a rapidly growing, fast-paced organization. This role will report to Associate Director of Lab Operations and will interact with and provide service to the entire organization.
- Inventory, ordering, unpacking, delivery and stocking of all incoming general lab supplies and reagents on timely basis.
- Wash glassware and autoclave laboratory materials daily.
- Ensure lab is orderly, clean, and well stocked daily
- Organization of lab equipment and lab space to facilitate most efficient work environment.
- Encourage and Support lab safety and help ensure a safe work environment for lab personnel, function point of contact for overall waste pickups and perform safety shower inspections.
- Manage refrigerators and freezers and perform regular defrosts and organization of samples
- Manage and update inventories as needed.
- Manage all lab gases, dry ice, and liquid nitrogen and arrange for deliveries as needed.
- Performs general housekeeping, maintenance, and organization of the lab areas. Includes hands on cleaning and maintenance and organization.
- May assist in facilities maintenance duties and escort or support vendor and contractor efforts.
- Provide general lab support, straighten, and maintain laboratories daily.
- Help prepare buffers as needed.
- Maintain and organize lab coat inventory
- Demonstrate critical thinking and problem-solving abilities.
- Must be self-motivated and take initiative.
- Demonstrate outstanding attention to detail.
- Associate degree is required.
- Must have a minimum of 3 years of relevant experience.
- Must be able to perform work that requires frequent standing, bending, reaching, squatting, kneeling, moving, and lifting (up to 50 pounds)
- Ability to work towards a goal with interest and drive in helping others.
- Excellent communication skills, both writing and verbal.
- Basic Microsoft Office skills: Excel, Word. Graphic design background is a plus.
- DOT/IATA shipper and HAZWOPER experience desired.
- Experience shipping and receiving hazardous materials.
- Previous Biotech or Pharmaceutical experience as facility technician is a highly desirable.
Scholar Rock is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.