Scientist, Antibody Discovery & Engineering
Cambridge, MA /
Protein Sciences and Antibody Engineering /
Scholar Rock is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company creating a robust pipeline of therapeutics with the potential to transform the lives of patients suffering from serious diseases, including neuromuscular disorders, cancer, fibrosis, and anemia. Our proprietary platform is rooted in our structural biology insights into the activation of latent growth factor precursors and drives the discovery and development of monoclonal antibodies that locally and selectively target these signaling proteins at the cellular level. By exploiting structural differences in the precursor, or latent form of growth factors, Scholar Rock intends to avoid the historical dose-limiting safety challenges associated with inhibiting the mature form of growth factors for therapeutic effect.
Our lead product candidate, SRK-015, is a highly specific inhibitor of myostatin activation currently being evaluated in a Phase 2 proof-of-concept trial for the treatment of patients with Type 2 and Type 3 Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA). SRK-015 has received Orphan Drug Designation in both the US and EU.
Our second product candidate, SRK-181, is a potent and highly selective inhibitor of latent TGFβ1 activation. A Phase 1 proof-of-concept trial will be initiated in Q1 2020 in patients with solid tumors. We believe SRK-181 has the potential to meaningfully increase the number of patients who can benefit from checkpoint inhibitor therapy by overcoming primary resistance to anti-PD-(L)1 antibodies.
Summary of Position:
At Scholar Rock, we strive to develop best-in-class antibody-based therapeutics across multiple disease areas. To achieve this, we are expanding our antibody discovery capabilities by establishing state of the art phage display, lead-optimization, and biophysical characterization platforms in the Antibody Discovery and Engineering group. We are seeking an outstanding and highly motivated scientist with extensive experience in the characterization of bio-molecular interactions to join our team. This person will play a leading role in the kinetic characterization of antibody-protein and receptor-ligand interactions. This person will be responsible for generating data critical for designing antibody discovery strategies as well as for the selection of lead therapeutic candidates. This position provides an opportunity to learn cutting-edge drug discovery platforms, exposure to the biology across multiple disease areas with unmet needs, and to be a part of a high-functioning inter-disciplinary drug development team.
- Contribute to the establishment of a biophysical characterization platform within the Antibody Discovery and Engineering group
- Develop SOPs for comprehensive characterization of protein-antibody and protein-protein interactions, including affinity and off-rate determinations, epitope binning, epitope mapping, etc.
- Evaluate and implement new technologies for efficient and high-throughput screening of antibodies and antibody fragments
- Act as a Subject Matter Expert in structure-function relationships of bio-molecular interactions and provide guidance to the research project teams
- Generate, analyze, and present biophysical characterization data to facilitate antibody lead selection
- Design and execute experiments to elucidate mechanisms of action of proteins and antibodies
- Collaborate with project teams to ensure timely progress in research projects
- Be responsible for operation and maintenance of SPR/Biacore and Flow Cytometry instruments
- M.S./Ph.D. in Biochemistry, Protein Chemistry or related life science field with 5+ years of pharmaceutical industry experience
- Expertise in solution- and cell-based affinity determination methods
- In depth knowledge of antibody/protein structure-activity relationship
- Extensive experience in kinetic characterization of bio-molecular interactions using SPR instruments (Biacore, SPR-32, Carterra LSA, etc.)
- Experience with Bio-Layer Interferometry and Kinetic Exclusion Assay methodologies
- Experience with Flow Cytometry is preferable
- Working knowledge of protein expression and purification is desirable
- Ability to work independently and to prioritize and manage multiple projects and activities
Scholar Rock is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.