Full-Stack Software Engineer
Palo Alto, CA or Belgrade, Serbia
Science Exchange is an Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, disability or genetic information, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin.
Science Exchange is a fast-growing company on a mission to enable breakthrough scientific research. We connect researchers and service providers through our online marketplace and hands-on concierge service, and promote scientific collaboration that will help improve the quality and efficiency of research. Our headquarters are in Palo Alto, California, but we are a truly global company with employees all over the U.S., Europe and Asia/Pacific.
How We Work
Our primary application is a classic Ruby on Rails codebase, with a little bit of React.js mixed in. We write tests (with RSpec) for our code, and use continuous integration/delivery (with Circle CI) with feature flagging to safely deploy (to Heroku) multiple times a day. We follow “Agile” Scrum methodology, but aren’t dogmatic about it - it just happens to work well for us. We track sprints in JIRA, have brief but effective daily stand-ups, and review each other’s code on Github.
We’ve worked hard to build a culture of collaboration, respect, and mutual support. We load-balance when needed and without judgement; we attend conferences and present new ideas, technologies and tools to each other as we discover them. We work smart enough to avoid late nights and long work weeks, but we don’t shy away from putting in extra hours when a critical mission requires it. We take time off to recharge when we need to.
What You'll Do
- Execute on user stories presented by the product team to bring new and/or improved features to our users
- Design and implement systems that solve critical problems for our customers and our business
- Refactor and refine existing systems for scalability, maintainability and reliability
- Improve internal tools to make other teams in the company more efficient
What You Bring
- At least 4 years of professional experience writing web applications
- Experience with Ruby on Rails or other MVC frameworks
- Experience in a startup environment
- A B.S. in Computer Science or equivalent experience