Sr Associate Scientist/Scientist – Genetic Diseases
Cambridge, MA /
Scismic is supporting the growth of an early stage biotech startup. They are seeking an exceptional researcher to join their team as a Senior Associate Scientist/Scientist to evaluate candidate therapies for the treatment of genetic diseases. The ideal candidate is a molecular and/or cellular biologist with experience in hepatocyte culture and using cellular and animal models of genetic disease to evaluate RNA, gene therapy or gene editing therapeutic candidates. The ideal candidate has at least a bachelor’s degree in a biology-related field with relevant in vitro and in vivo laboratory experience in the pharmaceutical or biotech industry. They will be able to quickly learn and integrate new protocols into existing workflows, possess strong oral and written communication capabilities, demonstrate excellent collaboration and interpersonal skills, and be adept at problem solving in a fast-paced environment.
- Expand therapeutic pipeline by:
- Evaluating oRNA constructs to express proteins of interest
- Evaluating oRNA constructs and formulation in relevant human and animal cell lines
- Evaluating oRNA constructs and formulations in in-house animal models
- Independently develop in vitro assays with human/animal material.
- Independently design, plan, and execute scientific experiments.
- Generate, interpret, and analyze data with a sense of urgency.
- Effectively communicate experimental plans and data; present to cross-functional R+D teams.
- Maintain an electronic notebook record of performed studies.
- Ability to solve technical problems in a logical and rationale manner.
- Self-motivated, detail oriented, and manage multiple parallel laboratory activities; effectively manage time.
- Contribute to a positive and exciting work environment, contributing to a strong, entrepreneurial and creative culture.
- Passionate, adaptable scientist looking to make an impact in a biotech startup environment.
- BS/MS in biology, cellular biology, genetics, biochemistry, or related discipline with 5+ years of relevant laboratory experience in the pharmaceutical or biotechnology industry.
- Experience with hepatocyte culture required
- Technical experience in the fields of gene therapy, genetic diseases, or RNA.
- Strong molecular biology experimental skills including tissue culture, primary cell culture and functional assays, qPCR, ELISA, and western blotting. Experience with ex vivo tissue analyses preferred, but not required.
- Detail oriented and self-motivated, willingness to take on new challenges.
- Effective written and oral communication skills with experience working in cross-functional teams.