Research Associate, Microbiology
Cambridge, MA /
Scismic is supporting the growth of a 100-person biotech startup in Cambridge, MA. We are looking for a Research Associate to join our Microbiology group to help drive key programs.
This exciting role will afford a qualified Research Associate the opportunity to apply their extensive knowledge of microbiology to perform experiments that will aim to cultivate a broad variety of aerobic and anaerobic bacteria, and characterize their molecular, morphological, and physiological features. The successful candidate will possess the required skills in microbial physiology, maintenance and preservation, microscopy, molecular methods, formulation of media composition, and the ability to multi-task within scope.
- Isolate, identify and maintain anaerobic and aerobic microorganisms from human and animal samples
- Grow bacterial cultures in flasks and bioreactors for in vitro and in vivo experiments
- Quantify bacterial samples using standard methods
- Perform standard molecular biology protocols (e.g. DNA extraction, PCR, qPCR)
- Develop and execute assays on various platforms as directed
- Analyze and present data internally
- Perform lab operations duties as needed, interface with other team members, vendors, and CROs
Desired capabilities, skills and experience:
- Experience in taxonomic identification and phylogenetic analysis
- Experience in designing and troubleshooting protocols, including consulting literature
- Demonstrated adaptability and the ability to quickly learn new experimental approaches in a fast-paced and evolving organization.
- Strong oral and written communication as well as excellent collaboration & interpersonal capabilities
- Outstanding team player with ability to work in groups as well as independently
- Proficient in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, familiarity with databases (e.g. FileMaker Pro, LIMS, NCBI) and electronic lab notebooks
Education and experience requirements:
- BS or MS degree in microbiology or related field
- Minimum of 1 year of relevant experience in industry preferred