Lead Erlang Developer
Founded in 2010, Scrapinghub is a fast growing and diverse technology business turning web content into useful data with a cloud-based web crawling platform, off-the-shelf datasets, and turn-key web scraping services.
We’re a globally distributed team of over 100 Scrapinghubbers working from over 30 countries who are passionate about scraping, web crawling, and data science.
As a new Scrapinghubber, you will:
Become part of a self-motivated, progressive, multi-cultural team.
Have the opportunity to work remotely.
Have the opportunity to go to conferences and meet with the team from across the globe.
Get the chance to work with cutting-edge open source technologies and tools.
About the Job:
Scrapinghub is looking for a Senior Erlang software developer to join and lead our Crawlera team.
Crawlera is a smart downloader designed specifically for web crawling and scraping. It allows crawler developers to crawl quickly and reliably by managing thousands of proxies internally. It is part of the Scrapinghub platform, the world’s most comprehensive web crawling stack which powers crawls of over 4 billion pages a month.
Join us in making the world a better place for web crawler developers with our team of top talented engineers.
- Develop, maintain and support a high load distributed system.
- Leverage the Scrapinghub platform to provide extended functionality, both to end users and for internal purposes.
- Identify and resolve performance and scalability issues with distributed crawling at scale.
- Liaison with other platform teams to provide Crawlera with the best possible integration to the growing Scrapinghub platform.
- Establish and maintain technical and quality standards, in conjunction with our broader Engineering expectations.
- Understand business intent and lead architectural design/decisions to achieve that intent. You won’t be the sole decision maker, and you won’t have all the answers, but you should know how to get the right people to the table for discussions, have a bias towards action (the imperfect system that’s live is often better than the perfect system that is never implemented), and how to use great technical design to help achieve our business goals.
- 2+ years of production experience with Erlang.
- Good communication in written English.
- Strong knowledge of Linux/UNIX, HTTP and Networking.
- Experience managing a technical team: developing talent, creating and enforcing standards, resource allocation.
- A history of achieving both technical and business goals.
- Python Knowledge.
- Familiarity with techniques and tools for crawling, extracting, and processing data.
- Knowledge of ELK, Graylog, Docker and Mesos.
- Good spoken English.