Head of Compliance
San Francisco /
Scratch's mission is to build a repayment platform to change the way consumers experience debt. Most of us take on debt to help us get ahead, or in many cases, to not fall behind. But for most of us—despite its necessity—once we have debt, it doesn't play a healthy role in our lives. It can be hard to understand, difficult to manage, and unaccommodating to changes in our lives.
This is why we started Scratch. We wanted to reinvent the loan servicing industry, well—from scratch. We wanted to create a world where debt plays a healthier and less taxing role in more people's lives. By bringing world-class product and technical thinking to a multi-trillion industry that hasn't seen innovation in well over two decades, Scratch's platform empowers borrowers to have greater control, visibility and flexibility over their financial health, removing the traditional loan servicer from the equation altogether and bringing borrowers closer to their lenders.
Our team is rapidly growing and comes from diverse backgrounds including Dropbox, Pinterest, Prosper, Bloomberg and Ripple. Our office is based in San Francisco.
With a rapidly growing community of lenders and borrowers, we think it's time the world knows there's a better way to pay back their loans. We'd love for you to join in our mission and help play a role in changing the way we experience debt for the better!
About the Role
As Head of Compliance, you will be a crucial member of Scratch’s legal and compliance team and will report to and partner closely with the General Counsel. We’re looking for someone who will share in our mission of changing the way consumers experience debt, and who will find enjoyment in thinking outside of the square. You will be crucial to our execution ensuring we have all the appropriate licenses in good standing and complete examinations and audits. You will directly support and drive Scratch’s continued growth within an industry that hasn’t seen change in decades.
You will help mature Scratch’s existing compliance program so that as Scratch continues to grow, our compliance program will remain robust and scalable. We’re looking for someone longing to make an impact with their compliance skill set on a product that will empower the indebted, and who will build a team with that same passion.
You will also innovate solutions alongside our engineering, design and product operations teams that ensure our mortgage and loan servicing products are not only world-class, but are also compliant with all applicable laws and regulations – including residential real estate, consumer finance, marketing, privacy and security laws, regulations and best practices.
In this role, you will:
- Iterate and mature all aspects of Scratch’s compliance program and build out Scratch’s compliance team, so that our compliance framework is robust and able to scale as Scratch continues to grow.
- Maintain our compliance policies and procedures and compliance library.
- Continue to develop and oversee our compliance training programs, deliver training, maintain inventory and monitor internal training for business.
- Coordinate regulatory examinations, including the facilitation of information gathering, analysis and synthesis of data into a logical and consistent format.
- Interact with product and engineering teams in active feedback loops to continuously improve our systems and processes.
- Provide day-to-day compliance support and issue resolution to cross-functional teams and serve as the primary contact for new initiatives and projects.
- Translate regulatory requirements into actionable technology solutions, working closely with product, engineering and borrower operations teams.
- Lead and manage federal, state and local licensing including assisting in researching licensing requirements, preparing and submitting licenses and related filings.
- Manage state regulatory examinations.
- Develop and manage internal compliance communications.
- Oversee and coordinate internal risk management systems; assist in developing internal controls to mitigate identified risks.
- Additional corporate compliance and risk management responsibilities, as needed.
We'd love to hear from you if you have:
- Minimum of 6 years compliance experience in the financial services industry.
- Experience at both traditional financial institutions and in a fintech environment.
- Strong and detailed understanding of regulations related to loan servicing and lending.
- Positive attitude towards working with regulators, and direct experience interacting with federal and state consumer finance regulatory bodies.
- Expertise in corporate compliance controls, systems, and processes.
- CRCM certification preferred, but not required.
- Demonstrated knowledge and application of consumer protection laws and regulations such as TILA/Regulation Z, ECOA/Regulation B, FCRA, FACTA, FDCPA, SCRA, BSA/AML, EFTA, UDAAP, and GLBA – HMDA a plus
- Demonstrated ability to identify and remediate gaps in current systems and processes.
- Ability to work under pressure and identify, prioritize and resolve issues quickly and independently.
- Exceptional ethics, judgment, and discretion.
- Excellent communication, organization and project management skills, and the ability to independently prioritize multiple simultaneous projects with different deadlines.
- A results-driven attitude and find enjoyment in creatively navigating novel solutions in an industry ripe for change.
- Excitement about being part of a mission-driven organization in a fast-moving and highly collaborative work environment within a complex industry.
- A track record for being highly accountable and driven.
We want you!
If you made it this far, chances are you’re as excited about working to change how people experience debt as we are—and we love that. Please apply even if you’re unsure about whether you meet every single requirement in this posting. Scratch is looking for smart, intellectually curious people who are invested in our mission, not just those who can “check all the boxes”.
Benefits we Provide:
Health insurance: We cover 99% of your healthcare premiums and 70% of your dependent’s premiums and offer competitive medical, dental, and vision insurance plans.
Learning and development stipend: We offer a $1,500 per year stipend for your personal career development!
Wellness benefit: We’re proud to provide employees a $100/month pre-tax credit towards any gym or fitness program.
Catered lunches and snacks: We have high-quality catered lunches every day and well-stocked kitchens.
Generous PTO (including your birthday!), sick leave, and parental leave
401k program: We offer a 401k program!
Additional benefits: We offer each employee the opportunity to enroll in pre-tax benefits, such as commuter benefits and an FSA account.