Product Counsel - Mortgage
Who we are
Scratch is a new kind of loan servicer, and we’re changing the way borrowers experience debt. We’ve brought world-class product and technical thinking to a multi-billion dollar industry that hasn't seen an attempt at a tech solution in well over two decades. We're looking for smart, intellectually curious people to be a part of our Scratch journey.
What you’ll do
We’re looking for a Product Counsel who can lead us as we expand into mortgage servicing. The focus of this role is working with business, engineering, and product teams to ensure our products and processes comply with applicable residential real estate, consumer finance, marketing, privacy and security laws, regulations, and best practices.
We’re a new and rapidly growing company, so you will act as a key contributor to the development of a unique culture that is reflective of our core values. You will be part of our small but talented legal team, which addresses novel, complex legal issues every day, and provides rapid, creative, and compliant solutions.
You will work directly with every team, acting as the point of contact for our mortgage regulatory and product strategy. You will work closely with engineering, borrower operations, business operations, compliance, and our executive team to ensure that we build a world-class mortgage servicing product.
Your day to day
- Design mortgage servicing product, and work closely with engineers, borrower operations operations, compliance, and legal to ensure product is world-class
- Stay abreast of changes to applicable regulations and update internal stakeholders
- Create, draft, and implement product, security, and compliance policies
- Support our business development team with developing mortgage lending clients
What we’re looking for
- 5+ years legal experience in financial services, with experience in mortgage regulation
- Preference for candidates with experience in fintech as in-house counsel
- Experience interpreting and advising on compliance with state and federal consumer protection law, including mortgage servicing rules(CFPB, state laws, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac servicer rules), RESPA, TILA, ECOA, and GLBA
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment with rapidly changing priorities
- A willingness to be self-directed, with a knack for solving problems and spotting issues
- Admitted to CA bar, or if admitted in another state, eligible to register as in-house counsel