Corporate Counsel, Associate
San Francisco /
Scratch's mission is to build a repayment platform to change the way consumers experience debt. Most of us take on debt to help us get ahead, or in many cases, to not fall behind. But for most of us—despite its necessity—once we have debt, it doesn't play a healthy role in our lives. It can be hard to understand, difficult to manage, and unaccommodating to changes in our lives.
This is why we started Scratch. We wanted to reinvent the loan servicing industry, well—from scratch. We wanted to create a world where debt plays a healthier and less taxing role in more people's lives. By bringing world-class product and technical thinking to a multi-trillion industry that hasn't seen innovation in well over two decades, Scratch's platform empowers borrowers to have greater control, visibility and flexibility over their financial health, removing the traditional loan servicer from the equation altogether and bringing borrowers closer to their lenders.
Our team is rapidly growing and comes from diverse backgrounds including Dropbox, Pinterest, Prosper, Bloomberg and Ripple. Our office is based in San Francisco.
With a rapidly growing community of lenders and borrowers, we think it's time the world knows there's a better way to pay back their loans. We'd love for you to join in our mission and help play a role in changing the way we experience debt for the better!
About the Role
As corporate counsel, you will be a crucial member of Scratch’s legal team and will report to the General Counsel. We’re looking for someone who will share in our mission of changing the way consumers experience debt, and who will find enjoyment in thinking outside of the square to draft, review and negotiate the novel, and often very complex and technical, contractual arrangements that will support and drive Scratch’s continued growth within an industry that hasn’t seen change in decades.
In this role, you will:
- Structure, draft, negotiate, and review a range of commercial agreements and legal documents, including novel and bespoke agreements with a highly complex and technical subject matter, such as customer agreements, vendor arrangements, partnership agreements, license agreements and transactional/M&A agreements and ancillary documents
- Be one of our trusted partners who will help us understand when to take risks, how to mitigate them, and when to avoid them
- Be across and understand all aspects of our business, empowering you to see the big picture and intuitively be guided not just by our legal interests but also our business objectives
- Interface and foster relationships with our key counterparties (including our partner lenders)
- Develop and implement innovative ways to scale our corporate processes, including instituting and maintaining a successful contract management system
You may be an amazing fit if you have the following:
- JD from an accredited school and current member in good standing with the California bar
- 5+ years of relevant legal experience, ideally gained at a well-regarded law firm followed by in-house experience (experience in the financial services industry or a venture-backed company is a plus, but not required)
- Proven experience drafting, negotiating and reviewing complex commercial contracts and the ability to identify and creatively solve for potential legal and business issues present
- A track record for being highly accountable and driven, and relish the idea of having the opportunity to roll your sleeves up and draft bespoke and complex agreements, sometimes from scratch (no pun intended!)
- Demonstrated attention to detail (the type of person who enjoys debating the nuances of an indemnity clause–don’t worry, we won’t judge!), while still having the ability to see the big picture and knowing when to “not sweat the small stuff”
- Clear and concise communication skills to effectively collaborate and negotiate with both internal and external business and legal teams
- Excellent organization and project management skills, and the ability to independently prioritize multiple simultaneous projects with different deadlines
- Excitement about being part of a mission-driven organization in a fast-moving and highly collaborative work environment within a complex industry
We want you!
If you made it this far, chances are you’re as excited about working to change how people experience debt as we are—and we love that. Please apply even if you’re unsure about whether you meet every single requirement in this posting. Scratch is looking for smart, intellectually curious people who are invested in our mission, not just those who can “check all the boxes”.
Benefits we Provide:
Health insurance: We cover 99% of your healthcare premiums and 70% of your dependent’s premiums and offer competitive medical, dental, and vision insurance plans.
Learning and development stipend: We offer a $1,500 per year stipend for your personal career development!
Wellness benefit: We’re proud to provide employees a $100/month pre-tax credit towards any gym or fitness program.
Catered lunches and snacks: We have high-quality catered lunches every day and well-stocked kitchens.
Generous PTO (including your birthday!), sick leave, and parental leave
401k program: We offer a 401k program!
Additional benefits: We offer each employee the opportunity to enroll in pre-tax benefits, such as commuter benefits and an FSA account.